GL-AXT1800 (Slate AX) IPv6 and some other problems

Hi all,
I just received my Slate AX yesterday and I’ve been messing with the settings. I’ve noticed a few problems:

1. IPv6 problem: if IPv6 is enabled with native mode, it will pass everything from the upstream server down to clients, including DNS servers. This bypasses AdGuard blocking. I’ve been trying to find a way for the router to advertise its own IPv6 address as DNS, but in navtive mode ULA addresses aren’t handed out, so forcing that just completely borks IPv6 internet access. Is there a way around?
  2. AdGuard upgrade: the AdGuard binary shipped with the router is out of date and it will prompt you for update. The problem is there’s only less than 55MB available in /overlay and the AdGuard binary takes 30MB+, leaving me with only around 20MB for other packages. Downgrade is not possible due to its config file being not backwards compatible. To keep AdGuard only updated with firmware, there is a --no-check-update arg that can be passed to the binary.
  3. opkg repo/packages problem: a lot of the packages are out of date, but due to the space limit mentioned above I cannot upgrade all of them. There are also dependency problems, like when I try to install nmap:
Unknown package 'nmap'.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libstdcpp6 for nmap
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for nmap found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nmap.

Execute opkg list-upgradable:

(a bunch of outdated packages)
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libstdcpp6 for nginx-util
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for nginx-util found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libstdcpp6 for nginx-ssl-util
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for nginx-ssl-util found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
  1. another not that important AdGuard problem: currently AdGuard cannot show which client made what request because dnsmasq takes port 53 and forwards all the requests to AdGuard, so AdGuard sees all of them as coming from 127.0.0.1. Can I make AdGuard the native DNS server on port 53?
  1. IPV6 in native mode will passthough everything. So you need to use NAT6 in order to use Adguard etc.
  2. Yes. Adguard has several update per month. You can remove the old files of agh-backup so that you have space for further update.
  3. Better not update all packages. OpenWrt is not well designed for such purpose.
  1. In my home router running merlin I was able to manually tweak dnsmasq to always hand out ULA addresses so my devices have both GUAs and a ULA, so that I can specify the ULA of my pihole as DNS server in dnsmasq config. In openwrt (or just GL firmwares?) seems IPv6 is handled by something else. Can I force it to hand out ULAs (dd00:: something iirc)?
  2. Okay thanks, I thought I could just upgrade everything like in debian. But how about the missing libstdcpp6 dependency?

You can try this:

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

1 Like