Advice for using my new usb modem with GL-iNet router

Hello, I just bought a second-hand huawei e1752 3g+ usb modem to use with my GL-iNet router.

I have never used a USB modem before and have just gone into a spiral of research that is probably completely unnecessary (hilink vs stick… flashing firmware).

So instead I thought I would just ask if anyone here has any advice to focalise my research on relevant information related to OpenWRT/GL-iNet and my particular modem.

Are there any quirks or issues to be aware of for instance?

The model I have is carrier branded, but perhaps not locked (should not be an issue I expect as it is for my carrier anyway). I have not yet received the sim card to use with it but the device shows in the GL-iNet firmware.

Am I supposed to update the modem’s firmware somehow?.. I see there is a SD card slot but all the information I can find is almost 10 years old, related to windows (I’m on linux) or related to specific carrier-branded models… Is the SD for some sort of mass storage option or do we need to flash firmware perhaps via SD?

Is it likely to just work as-is?.. Currently plugging it in does show that a modem is detected in the GL-iNet firmware.

Are there different options for running the device in different modes (hilink vs surfstick) and if so, which will be more efficient to use with GL-iNet firmware?

For this modem, can anyone point me to any ressources that will explain it’s features and how it works with OpenWRT/GL-iNet?

Any tips on using this modem - or even one with similar features will be most useful. Basically there is too much information and I’m not sure where to focus my attention to.

Thanks for any advice!

Set the modem to hilink and the set up like tethering

You may need to change the IP of the router to 192.168.10.1 from 192.168.81 because the modem use also 8.1 as its IP.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer @alzhao - I had already read the help page but thank you.

Do you mean that setting the modem for tethering (via hilink) is preferable to using in modem mode?

When I plug in the modem it currently shows up as 3G/4G Modem - or the part “3) USB 3G/4G Modem” in the help page you linked.

I just looked for hilink firmware for the e1752 but I don’t think it exists for my new-to-me (but very old) device. I don’t even think that flashing firmware on this device is even possible under linux.

I will just see when I receive the SIM card if it works well or not. I am not worried about speed (the device is limited to 7.2mbps anyway) - more that there are so many different kind of modems that I had some advice on what to look out for with the model I have.

At least it is recognised so far which is positive.

Are there any drawbacks for using a device in 3g/4g modem mode with GL-iNet or openWRT?

Thanks

Hilink is more compatible. If you can pls set the modem to hilink.

2 Likes

My advice:
Do not attempt to update the firmware.
Ignore the SD card slot - I am not even sure that will work when plugged into the GL.
Use the modem as is (do not attempt to convert to Hilink mode if that isn’t the default).

1 Like

Huawei may use ncm protocol when working in modem mode. So you may have difficult to set up.

When using in hilink mode, I met a lot of cases and all works good.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I’m going to try exactly this first, thanks.

I don’t think there is hikink for my modem - it is much to old.

From what I have read though, NCM is faster than the alternative with openwrt.

At the end of the day I’m probably going overboard since the modem is capped at 7.2mbps anyway so I probably will not be able to tell.

Hope it works well… I’ll report back either way.

Modem seems to work ok… albeit slower than when plugged into my linux laptop directly.

I did not manage to make the pinlock work - though I stopped trying as soon as the modem worked with the lock disabled.

I had read some openwrt related issue regarding the pin lock so perhaps the pinlock just doesn’t work - i did not investigate further once I got it working.

1 Like

Can you confirm you have configured using ncm manually?

I used the gl-inet interface only to configure so I have no idea what is happening in the background… I could not really find any entries in the usual places one might look in openwrt so I did not look further. As far as configuration is concerned, I chose “manual” then selected the right APN and user name and password provided by my network operator. I used my laptop to remove the pin lock on the simcard.

If you have some “cat” commands to run I’ll happily post the outputs for you,

I see. It should be just working on ttyUSB.