Advice to newbies - VPN speeds - GL-MT300N-V2

I’m a new user of the GL-MT300N-V2 and I think it’s a great product for the price

BUT

I was getting poor OpenVPN speed throughput - I spent a week trying different settings, different providers, until I finally realized this little box was the cause of throughput issues.

I’m referring to a throughput of about 4Mbps on a 30Mbps connection.

After realising the box was the cause of the bottleneck I did the usual searching and researching and read a post on here that said there were limitations BUT specifically:

“The mini router can achieve 8mbps to 10mbps openvpn and 50Mbps with wireguard”

As it happens, this was in reference to the box as a VPN Server

However, I signed up for a WireGuard VPN and I’m getting much better throughput - 20Mbps consistent.

This is not an endorsement of VPN services just my own experience and hopefully save other users the same frustration.

This is actually for Openvpn client. Openvpn is slow on this small device.

Any screen shot of the configuration

Using a GL-300N-V2 as a Openvpn client and cannot get a speed over 9M downloading from a speed test web site with a PC wired to the 300N and connected to a nearby commercial vpn server. I get 500M download speed when connected without the vpn.

Is the 300N just this slow?

MT300N-V2 is not fast in OpenVPN. Use mV1000 if you want to achieve high speed in OpenVPN

Thanks for the help. I thought I must have the wrong hardware. Now to figure out if the mV1000 is the best for me.

Bought a Brume GL-MV1000 and am getting 50M reliably via Openvpn from NordVPN. Very happy. Might try Wireguard with NordVPN at some point, but even Openvpn is pretty good.

1 Like