So I posted a few days ago about my issues connecting to a hotspot near my parents house overseas where I had no issues last year using lede 2.x, I had tried two other hotspots but I always had issues with this main one and had to tinker around non-stop cloning interfaces and such to get things working.
Yesterday i was looking in luci for network interfaces and I noticed that even though the Hotspot would show 2-3 bars, the RX was always 0, so I started moving the router higher up and I noticed slightly better RX.
So I built a big box and moved the router about 1m higher from the ground, the bars didn’t move much, but I can get IP all the time from the hotspots, get the connected message with IP, DNS, Gateway etc and I can connect w/o any issues.
I then reset the router to default settings using latest testing mode firmware 3.x and I also can connect w/o using any special parameters (I have disabled DNS rebind though)
I got an issue once where I couldn’t connect and for that scenario, I removed the hotspot interface manually from luci, rebooted the router and re-connected to the wifi hotspot.