AR300M Internal Ariel Polar Patten

Hello all :slight_smile:
My 1st post :stuck_out_tongue: Does anyone know the Polar Patten of the internal ariel on an AR300M?
I need it to “Beam” down a long but narrow corridor in both directions and wonder should I mount it flat on a shelf or vertical.
If vertical would I place the front and back faceing up and down the corridor?

All the best, Andy

The router’s internal antenna isn’t directional antenna. You can place it casually.

What a distance do you want? It can reach about 80 meters.

You can see the antennas on the PCB at GL-AR300M Series - GL.iNet Docs

The are cross-pol, which is good for diversity, generally increasing robustness of connections over the covered area. Being physically small compared to the wavelength at 2.4 GHz (~12 cm) there won’t be much directionality to the pattern, as kyson-lok indicates.

I would suggest not placing the router on or near (under ~10 cm) a metallic or conductive shelf or object, with ~30 cm potentially being better. RF can be very non-intuitive, so checking the signal strength where it matters to you is the best way to see if “tweaks” in location help or hurt.

The trace antennas are low gain - which is actually a good thing considering - it’s the gain of the antenna that helps determine the pattern.

How big/small the antenna is isn’t really a concern, it’s the gain - higher the gain, the flatter the pattern.

1 Like

My they are small…
Thanks for the tip about distance from metal surfaces. That factor is quite relavent in this case.

Kind regards, Andy