Ar750s 3.100 openvpn failed load ovpn

@alzhao Its a ovpn file. What is inside is what I pasted on the original post.

@Johnex Thank man for the help! Unfortunately I tried to go with the openvpn UI inside the luci advance portal and got to another issue :frowning:

ar750s-broken-after-openwrt-upgrade

I was checking also via ssh to the folders of the router if there is somewhere a .config/.ovpn to manually load mine but didn’t find something at that time.

@Johnex you saved the day on the other thread :slight_smile: literally I did the same this multiple time.
anyhow

root@R2-D2:/# find . -name openvpn
./etc/config/openvpn
./etc/init.d/openvpn
./etc/openvpn
./lib/upgrade/keep.d/openvpn
./overlay/upper/etc/openvpn
./overlay/upper/etc/config/openvpn
./overlay/upper/usr/lib/lua/luci/view/openvpn
./rom/etc/config/openvpn
./rom/etc/init.d/openvpn
./rom/etc/openvpn
./rom/lib/upgrade/keep.d/openvpn
./rom/usr/sbin/openvpn
./rom/usr/share/openvpn
./usr/lib/lua/luci/view/openvpn
./usr/sbin/openvpn
./usr/share/openvpn

I uploaded to etc/openvpn the .ovpn file and created also a copy as .config
then I edited the /etc/config/openvpn to match the example it had as “custom_config”

root@R2-D2:/# cat ./etc/config/openvpn
package openvpn

#################################################

Sample to include a custom config file.

#################################################

config openvpn custom_config

# Set to 1 to enable this instance:
    option enabled 0

# Include OpenVPN configuration
    option config /etc/openvpn/my-vpn.conf

config openvpn myovpntest

# Set to 1 to enable this instance:
    option enabled 0

# Include OpenVPN configuration
    option config /etc/openvpn/myovpntest.conf

and rebooted the router.
Unfortunately nothing. Any guidance on this?

Give this a try? I haven’t tested it since i usually only use the Cert+Key “default” way of VPNing:

Just to add, why are you not using Wireguard? OpenVPN is old, slow. You will get better performance on your AR750s, 80mbit+ vs 20mbit on OpenVPN.

hooray!

managed to load the 19.07 version and indeed the ovpn options is available there.
Also managed to load the ovpn file (sidenote the instance name does NOT have to contain any dots)
Tried to start it and now:

Sat Feb 15 15:55:26 2020 daemon.err uhttpd[1288]: sh: /etc/init.d/openvpn: not found

hehe…I have to find also the way to activate the luci back since this is a clear openwrt installation. :slight_smile:

I am not using wireguard because I read some articles that is still in the beta phase and not fully approved yet. Yes its faster and way easier to implement but not yet fully ready apparently.

Edit:
For the issue above “sh: /etc/init.d/openvpn: not found” I needed to install openvpn-openssl
I realized that the luci I was referring to is not actually the GUI of glinet which I had before and thought that this was it.
Do we know if I can add this again on-top of the new firmware?
Because now the 192.168.8.1 url its blank.

I would recommend you go back to the GL firmware, latest testing version, openwrt-ar750s-3.101-0212.img, from here:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar750s/testing/

The img file is used in uBoot, the tar file is used in the GL UI upgrade page.

You can access Luci from the GL UI menu, More Settings → Advanced.

I still recommend you switch to wireguard for all your devices, but do what you did again using the GL firmware.

So to give an update here:
I tried the testing version 3.101 and I had issues with the internet. The connections was unstable and was dropping multiple times. I had to relogin/auth to the wifi of the hotel more than 4 times in the time window of 30 mins. Anyway; I did go back to 3.100 to be stable.

Now the SOLUTION:

persist-tun
persist-key
cipher AES-256-CBC
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM
auth SHA256
tls-client
client
remote xxxx1.com
remote xxxx2.com
remote xxxx3.com
auth-user-pass
dev tun0      <======================================
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
setenv CLIENT_CERT 0
<tls-auth>
#
# 2048 bit OpenVPN static key
#
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>
key-direction 1

From the original config what was missing causing the failed message was actually one line.
“dev tun0”
I was able to find this when I was troubleshooting on the 19.07 openwrt version and I was seeing the error messages on the system logs.

Maybe the developers can add a debug window that shows all the error messages and not just “failed”

Thank you everyone for your help!