AR750s disconnecting and not reconnecting (firmware 3.100)

Hi, I bought the Slate AR-750S (firmware 3.100) a couple of months ago. Although it was unstable from the moment I started using it, with some disconnections and random issues, it has now become worse and worse in recent weeks.

I updated the firmware to the latest one a few days ago in the hope that it would fix the random disconnections and the inability for the device to then reconnect, but it didn’t improve the situation.

FYI, I am connecting the Slate device with repeater/wifi to the personal hotspot of my iPhone.

When I try to reconnect, I get error messages several times(“wifi not in range” or just failure to connect or something) before I can eventually connect the bridge. This is all happening even though the personal hotspot is running fine and other devices can connect to it instantly.

If I try to use the VPN (with Mullvad), it makes things even worse. It works for a bit, and then the internet completely stops. I then have to login into admin to disable VPN and reconnect to wifi/personal hotspot.

What’s my next step in order to make the device work as intended?
How do I get the device to automatically reconnect without having to do it manually in the admin panel?

I have seen other similar topics from last year etc. but the support answers state firmware updates fixed the issues. I am experiencing those same issues on the latest firmware…

I have the exact same problem with FW 3.100
My internet stops working after a while. Both OpenVPN and Wireguard clients lose connectivity to the server. The WiFi AP will show as connected without internet. It may come back sometime or I have to reboot until it happens again. Can I collect some logs to share? I hate that it drops my VPN connections randomly. This never happened before :frowning:

1 Like

I haven’t noticed this behaviour. Neither with iPhone nor with android. On the other hand, I always have the device which is tethering pluged into a power source. Could it be that the iPhone switches to different energy state and this causes the disconnect? Maybe you could test this by having the phone charging. You could also try USB tethering.

Regarding the logs, you can obtain them via SSH (referenced here: https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/app/ssh/).

logread

I have the same issue with the same firmware and I’m connected in the same way. Going to post my own thread. I sure hope GL-inet is on top of this bug. I see three other threads with the same problem.

1 Like

But there are also users reporting that they have not encountered this issue (like me), so maybe and just maybe it is a setting issue.

Yes, definitely is a setting issue. Not sure what it is, but I operate a WRT3200 ACM at home with no issue trying to accomplish the same task. I’m thinking it’s something within the GL.inet way of setting up the interfaces, but haven’t been able to figure it out so far. I set up my own thread in the hopes to get some guidance from staff. I have been able to set up a stable connection with an external adapter just for troubleshooting purposes though the OpenWRT GUI. Stable connection for 12 hours or so until I disconnected with same signal strength as internal adapter, but I don’t want to use an external adapter on a travel router for obvious reasons. Also, it screws up the GL.inet GUI due to, what I am guessing are linking issues because I set up the external adapter as wwan.

Anyone with any clues would be greatly appreciated.

root@GL-AR750S:~# logread | grep choice
Tue Feb 11 12:15:56 2020 kern.info kernel: [32177.486045] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 12:18:34 2020 kern.info kernel: [32335.614716] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 12:22:27 2020 kern.info kernel: [32568.803431] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 12:24:19 2020 kern.info kernel: [32680.814913] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 12:44:49 2020 kern.info kernel: [33910.760347] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 13:22:26 2020 kern.info kernel: [36167.271094] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Tue Feb 11 13:30:39 2020 kern.info kernel: [36660.357143] wlan-sta: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)

Have you tried the slate with that setting at home? Maybe it is related to how crowded the wifi in the area is.

I have tried the same setup, connecting to the same router, utilizing the 5ghz radio as the trunk line and the 2.4 ghz radio as the local network and have had a stable wwan connection for about 12 hours. However, I NEED the 2.4ghz wwan functionality to work and be stable at another location with my other AR750S-Ext. See log below using 5ghz radio as trunk line. It is now 12:45 with no connection resets, so perhaps there is a problem with the 2.4 ghz radio running as wwan?

root@GL-AR750S:~# logread | grep wlan-sta
Wed Feb 12 00:12:48 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 57.814855] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan-sta: link is not ready
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.190438] wlan-sta: authenticate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.213736] wlan-sta: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 1/3)
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.220355] wlan-sta: authenticated
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.258554] wlan-sta: associate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 1/3)
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.269835] wlan-sta: RX AssocResp from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (capab=0x111 status=0 aid=1)
Wed Feb 12 00:12:51 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 61.311314] wlan-sta: associated
Wed Feb 12 00:12:52 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Network device ‘wlan-sta’ link is up
Wed Feb 12 00:12:54 2020 kern.info kernel: [ 64.268405] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan-sta: link becomes ready
Wed Feb 12 00:13:49 2020 user.notice firewall: Reloading firewall due to ifup of wwan (wlan-sta)

P.S. - I have also started my own thread in the router section.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

That was a good choice, as the issue mentioned by previous users is related to tethering with an iPhone, which isn’t mandatory related to your issue but definitely is a different setup.

I am having the same issue with my new AR750S with difficulty getting to the admin screen. Now both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz lights do not light up and I can’t access the router via wifi or LAN! I have a separate post re. the lights issue.

The iPhone is already always on charge and most of the time at 100% battery while tethering to the AR750s…

Are your clients connecting on the 2.4 GHz band as well, or are they using the 5 GHz? I have my 2.4 GHz Wifi disabled and use the 2.4 GHz only for connecting to the personal hotspot of the iPhone.

Are you sure you have the same issue? Are you also using the personal hotspot of your iPhone as host and the repeater mode of the slate drops the connection sporadically?

This should be a different issue. In old firmware when the Internet connection is not available the UI loads very slow.

So you’re suggesting my firmware is not up to date?

I can’t confirm it’s the same issue, but the behaviour is similar.

Yes, I am connecting to my iPhone in repeater mode.

Here’s a full explanation of what I’m trying to accomplish: I’m traveling around New Zealand in a trailer. I have a Sonos speaker to listen to music. Sonos does not do well when the network ID changes. So based on a suggestion on the Sonos user forum I purchased a portable router that can provide a consistent SSID to the Sonos. Ideally, I’d pull into a campground. Turn the iPhone hotspot on. Turn the GLi on, and it would see the the phone hotspot and connect. Then the Sonos (and any other devices) would see the GLi and connect. Voila!

However, getting the GLi to stay connected to the phone (4G reception) seem spotty. Getting to the GLi admin page takes a long time and usually times out. And now, the GLi 2.4 and 5 GHz lights don’t even light up.

Suggestions?

Thanks

You are connecting AR750s to your iphone via wifi, right?

I don’t why the LED don’t turning on. Can you still find the SSID?