AR750S - Switching between cable WAN & USB Tethering

During setup & testing used USB tethering with a laptop connected to the LAN1 port only, tethering worked fine. Now have the router as the main home router and want to see if it can handle an outage from provider.

Can you leave the WAN port ethernet cable from the modem to the router still connected while switching over to and using USB Tethering ?? - the reverse would also apply when switching back from USB Tethering to WAN !!

I presume that when switching between inputs WAN cable, USB Tethering, WiFi & 3G/4G that the other connection methods would be disabled/not functional.

This has been covered here:

You can have all connections methods on at the same time, the router will prioritize according to the list in the post above. If one is detected as no internet, it goes to the next down the list to the next available connection method.

What I want to be able to do is while router is working connect mobile with USB cable, turn on tethering in the mobile which starts USB Tethering in the router and off we go - ignoring the WAN cable connection which is internet connected via cable modem.
And then in reverse turn off tethering in the mobile which starts Wired Ethernet in the router and off we go - ignoring the USB Tethering cable connection.

If I change priority order to USB Tethering / Wired Ethernet / 4G Modem / WiFi would that achieve what I have outlined above - that way I can have a cable connected all the time to the router USB port and use either Wired Ethernet data or USB Tethered mobile data, whichever I wish.

I have no knowledge of OpenWRT so this is all new to me, but is quite interesting in what it can do.
Is it possible to set the priorites above in Luci as I have become familiar with it and where stuff is ??

@luochongjun @wellnw @lancer

@exitguy
Do you want to use usb tethering first? Or to adjust the order of Internet access priority, you can look at the file / etc / config / mwan3, and then adjust the Internet access priority according to your needs, which is to modify the metric
config globals ‘globals’
option enabled ‘1’
option mmx_mask ‘0x3F00’

config interface ‘wan’
option enabled ‘1’
list track_ip ‘8.8.4.4’
list track_ip ‘8.8.8.8’
list track_ip ‘208.67.222.222’
list track_ip ‘208.67.220.220’
option family ‘ipv4’
option reliability ‘2’
option count ‘1’
option timeout ‘2’
option interval ‘5’
option down ‘3’
option up ‘8’

config interface ‘wwan’
option enabled ‘1’
list track_ip ‘8.8.4.4’
list track_ip ‘8.8.8.8’
option family ‘ipv4’
option reliability ‘2’
option count ‘1’
option timeout ‘2’
option interval ‘5’
option down ‘3’
option up ‘8’

config interface ‘tethering’
option enabled ‘1’
list track_ip ‘8.8.4.4’
list track_ip ‘8.8.8.8’
option family ‘ipv4’
option reliability ‘2’
option count ‘1’
option timeout ‘2’
option interval ‘5’
option down ‘3’
option up ‘8’

config interface ‘modem_1_1’
option enabled ‘1’
list track_ip ‘8.8.4.4’
list track_ip ‘8.8.8.8’
option family ‘ipv4’
option reliability ‘2’
option count ‘1’
option timeout ‘2’
option interval ‘5’
option down ‘3’
option up ‘8’

config member ‘wan_only’
option interface ‘wan’
option metric ‘1’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘wwan_only’
option interface ‘wwan’
option metric ‘2’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘tethering_only’
option interface ‘tethering’
option metric ‘3’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘modem_1_1_only’
option interface ‘modem_1_1’
option metric ‘4’
option weight ‘3’

config policy ‘default_poli’
list use_member ‘wan_only’
list use_member ‘wwan_only’
list use_member ‘tethering_only’
list use_member ‘modem_1_1_only’
option last_resort ‘default’

config rule ‘default_rule’
option dest_ip ‘0.0.0.0/0’
option use_policy 'default_poli

Hello, I’m completely new and not even sure what you mean by “look at the file/etc/config/mwan3”.
Is there some tutorial I can watch to understand where to find things like this and to change values?

Check out
https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/tutorials/

and Modify files on the router - GL.iNet Router Docs 3

None of the above references to manuals helps and the 2 lists of settings above appear to be both the same and the default settings in mwan3 - or did I miss something.

I’m in a similar situation where I want WWAN to take over IF it is active, from WAN. i.e. if my phone hotspot is on, I want that to provide signal, not the WAN.

OK.

Here is the correct docs of multiple wan management

You need to change the metric value in /etc/config/network

option metric 40

Find the config like above and modify the value. A lower value mean priority.

Thank you Alzaho

Already solved :blush:

I’ve already tried /etc/config/network – it did NOT work – so I made the metric for WWAN lower than the WAN – made no difference…

I then set that back to default and changed the metrics in MWAN3 – swapping metrics for WWAN and WAN – that works perfectly.

I’ve been using this since late Saturday.
I don’t pretend to understand this well, but the change works. I have no idea what “option weight” is for so I left that unchanged.

config member ‘wan_only’
option interface ‘wan’
option metric ‘2’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘wwan_only’
option interface ‘wwan’
option metric ‘1’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘tethering_only’
option interface ‘tethering’
option metric ‘3’
option weight ‘3’