Back to stock firmware from OpenWrt

Hi,

Model: GL-AR300M16-ext
Version: 3.216

Prior to install OpenWrt 21.02 firmware according to Philtel’s manual, I would like to confirm that it is possible to switch back to GL-iNet stock firmware (ver.3.216), since I couldn’t find any clear explanation about the issue neither on GL-iNet Documents nor at forum.

Thank you.
Regards.
Safak Kayhan

Hey :wave:

try this one: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Router Docs 4

Hi,

Thank you for the document you suggested, however it assumes GL-iNet stock firmware is installed on device. In our case, there will be OpenWrt firmware be installed and OpenWrt’s own U-Boot software, I guess.

Or, may be you mean that GL-AR300M16’s stock firmware can also be flashed within OpenWrt’s LuCI interface as it is inversely done while flashing OpenWrt firmware from GL-iNet’s admin web interface.

It would be nice to make sure that openwrt-ar300m16-3.216-0321-1679391734.bin file can directly be flashed within OpenWrt’s LuCI, if that’s the way.

Thank you, regards.
Safak Kayhan

In my understanding, U-Boot will always be the same since it’s not part of the OS but part of some special chip on the main board. So it won’t get flashed by changing to the stock firmware.

Hi,

If the information you provided can be confirmed for sure, alongside the stock firmware file (openwrt-ar300m16-3.216-0321-1679391734.bin) is the correct one to flash, then we are good to resume flashing from stock to OpenWrt and back from OpenWrt to stock firmware.

If someone with same router and/or experience would see our conversation and contribute, that would highly be appreciated.

Thanks.
Safak Kayhan

You can download the right image here: GL.iNet download center

Since I don’t own this device, I can’t tell if it’s right what you wrote. But U-Boot is “unbrickable” so it’s just worth a try.

See this new unbrick page with video: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Router Docs 4

Hi,

In fact there are cases where U-Boot is not functional or conditionally functional so it seems brickable. For example this forum post.

On the other hand if you are right on firmware switch (between OpenWrt/Stock in this case) doesn’t affect GL-iNet’s U-Boot software, it is a good idea to update U-Boot software first, prior to move further.

Anyway, let’s wait for a shadow line router owner with similar stock2openwrt2stock experience, not to risk brand new router.

Thank you.
Safak Kayhan

Nah, if you follow the posts you will see it’s only an issue if you are not able to use windows. Seems to be an issue with MacOS and Linux.

But yeah, wait for confirmation.

Hi,

Model: GL-AR300M16-ext

Upgraded from vanilla stock coming on the device to GL-iNet stock firmware Ver.3.216.

Then switch to OpenWrt 21.02 firmware following Philtel’s manual .

Finally following debrick tutorial revert back to GL-iNet stock firmware Ver.3.216 from OpenWrt firmware.

So “Stock to OpenWrt and back to the Stock” cycle completed successfully.

As admon said above GL-iNet’s U-Boot Firmware Update and U-Boot Update itself pages and their functionalities are not affected from flashing to OpenWrt.

Thank you admon for your help.

Regards.
Safak Kayhan

1 Like

Glad that it worked for you!

If there are any more questions, the forum is here to help! :wave: