Barely Capable User Needs Help

I need help configuring a GL-AR750S-Ext. I did some messing around with it to increase my speed on my Visible connection. I edited the TTL settings and it appeared to work. I read somewhere that in order to use the faster speeds with streaming media devices (ROKU), I would need to set up a VPN on the router, either of the two that come with it. That’s where I am stumped. I’ve tried setting up the WireGuard and got lost immediately. I’m not a network person. I was once a hardware guy and wrote a lot of MSVBA code back in the day. Never worked with networks. Can someone help me?

Did you build your own VPN server or did you purchase a VPN service from a third party provider?

I tried to build the one that comes with the router. Wireguard.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?
You will need a VPN provider (server) to connect the Client (your GL-AR750S-Ext) to.
(I assume you are on 3.x firmware)

I have firmware version 3.215. My phone provider caps speeds at 5mps. I read where you could overcome this by tethering your phone to a router and editing the TTL settings, I did this and it worked. I now get connected on my computer at 12-41mps. Now I want to increase the connection to my ROKU devices. This is what I was told: “Streaming devices on most phone plans will still be capped at 2mbps because the IP addresses are flagged by the cell company as video streaming and they reduce it to 720 or 1080p to reduce network congestion, however, lots of folks say they get around that with a VPN. Some run a modem, some run a router. Some run custom firmware on an old phone. Just depends on budget and skill level”

So that’s what I am attempting to do. I did not realize I would need to subscribe to an external VPN provider.

A VPN is actually a server that forwards data traffic to hide your real IP, and you need a VPN server to run the VPN client. If you have not built one yourself, it is recommended that you first purchase the service provided by your VPN provider.
The App contains more support for third-party providers. You can try it.

Thank you. I’m browsing the VPN providers now. I’ll also load the App to see it that helps, as well.

Does the VPN service get loaded to the phone I am tethering to the router? Probably a dumb question, but I want to get this right the first time.

Tethering simply allows the router to forward traffic over the cellular network of the phone. It does not cause the VPN service on the router to be loaded onto the phone.

Thank you. That explains a lot. Also, I downloaded the App, but it wants to configure my router like it’s never been used before. I already have the router working. Will I have to reset to factory settings and start all over in order to use the VPN guides?

I downloaded the App, but it wants to configure my router like it’s never been used before. I already have the router working. Will I have to reset to factory settings and start all over in order to use the VPN guides?

If it is set up and broadcasting WiFi connect to the WiFi. The app should recognize it, it may ask for the Admin password.(Its been awhile since I used the app and all my devices are bound to Goodcloud so it may work a little different. When I connected to the routers WiFi and started the app it showed 2 options Set up Router and Login in to Goodcloud. I closed the app out and restarted it showed same 2 options then asked for the routers Admin password)

Unless its changed I think you can only have 5 VPN config files in the app and they are not saved on the actual router.

You do not have to reset your device. There is an initialized device button on the Add Device page, click it to add your device.
If you open the app while your phone is connected to the device Wi-Fi, it will automatically pop up the login page.
Please note that the App requires local network access to recognize the device.

You wrote: “If you open the app while your phone is connected to the device Wi-Fi, it will automatically pop up the login page.”

Do you mean the phone must be connected to the router? What is it you mean by the ‘device WiFi’?

Also, how do I add screenshots to messages on here? Maybe that would help if I could show you what I am looking at?

Yes, the phone must be connected to the router. It should be device’s Wi-Fi.

You can add screenshots with the button.

This is the screen that I always have trouble with. When I follow these instructions, it always brings me back to this screen and never changes.

How is this set up? I cannot find a local network access setting.

I noticed that your phone is still using 5G. Have you confirmed that you are connected to the router’s Wi-Fi?
If you have reset your device, try disabling 5G and connecting to the device Wi-Fi. some Android phones will automatically choose to use the Internet connection available to them.

If I turn off the 5G connection at the phone, there is no internet connection, so I’m confused. Are you saying the router puts out a signal the phone can connect to without there being an actual connection to the internet?

Because you Cell phone is connected to the Cellular network it does not recognize the Wifi network becuase it s providing the the internet.
You need to download config files , every thing need to set up vpn, Then turn off the 5G cellular network(you will have no internet) and connect to router s Wifi. Load config files and set up the vpn and tethering, disconnnect from WiFi, start Cellurlar 5G.

Because you phone is providing the Cellular Wide Area Network(Wireless Wide Area network, WWAN of WAN) is making it complicated

Do you have a computer (Ethernet cord into the local Area network LAN) or another wireless device would make it easier for the first setup