(BERYL) GL-MT1300 - is it possible to use as MAIN router?

I’ve got a brand new GL-MT1300 and wasn’t able to use it as a MAIN router. Using as a second router, connecting to wifi, etc, seems ok.

Not sure if it’s possible, but would like to have:

SPARK FIBRE MODEM (ISP) LAN > WAN Beryl

When I try to connect directly from the fibre modem to beryl, I get a “No cable connected”.

If I then use my “old” main router (spark), it works fine, example:
fibre modem (wan) > (lan) spark router > spark router (lan) > beryl router (wan)

What I actually need is to setup the VPN server in my beryl. However, port forwarding from my spark router isn’t working, therefore I’m trying to use beryl as main router.

I guess that would be physical connectivity issue with the cable (or some ridiculous MAC filtering on spark fiber side which only allows their router to connect). Sounds stupid but try different cables first. Try also to plug in your pc directly to spark fiber modem. Once you sort that out there should not be any issues in using Beryl as a main router. You might have to set up PPPoE or whatever your fiber setup is. Good luck!

thanks for your reply @bigbadwolf

I’ve checked the cables, they are OK.

when I use PPPoE, I get the following:

Took a photo of what I’m trying to do here

Modem WAN > PC ethernet (trying to connect via PPPoE) also doesn’t work
Modem WAN > WAN Spark Router > Spark Router LAN > PC works fine.

I’m not sure why it doesn’t let me connect direct - I’m probably missing something on my understanding here. (networking noob myself)

Maybe same problem reported in this thread:

as per post above, I’ve downgraded versions (3.200) but still got the same issue. losing my hope

Does your modem locks mac address of the router? You may need to reboot the modem.

Does your modem need to set some vlan tag?

I’d suspect a MAC filter/lock in this case (Etisalat did that in UAE while I was living there). I guess next step is to note your spark router mac address and clone it on Beryl

I’m not sure if my modem locks mac addresses - however, I’ve hard rebooted the modem yesterday and still got the same issue.

Does your modem need to set some vlan tag?

as far as I can see, the only config is VLAN ID: 10 as default.

working on this spark router like this:

Here are some photos of spark modem/router, if there was a block/filtering, would it be my ISP or would it be my modem hardware itself? I can probably contact spark and check if they do some sort of MAC filtering on their side? (if that makes sense?)

On the bright side though - I managed to redirect ports on the spark router to my GL-MT1300 router, so I’ve got the VPN server running and working like a charm.

I guess next step is to note your spark router mac address and clone it on Beryl

good call, I’ll try that later today.

really appreciate your help, thank you!

btw, following spark’s website, that’s the requirements:

I’m following this out of curiousity and I have to say I am completely baffled by the Spark lingo and setup. The Nokia is an ONT, but also a router. And then the Spark, which is clearly a router, is called a modem. But modems don’t figure in the fiber world. And PPP is not the same as PPPoE, which I think of as a DSL protocol. But somehow, even though you should only need the Nokia, both devices need to be in the mix. What a waste of electricity.

You may have to configure the Beryl WAN to VLAN ID 10.

Just to be clear, I should be able to connect my Beryl (GL-MT1300) directly to a ONT fibre box, using the VLAN tagged to 10, right? (without needing a modem like the spark one?).

I just tried that using Lucy, still get no connection, unfortunately.

The Nokia is an ONT, but also a router. And then the Spark, which is clearly a router, is called a modem. But modems don’t figure in the fiber world. And PPP is not the same as PPPoE, which I think of as a DSL protocol. But somehow, even though you should only need the Nokia, both devices need to be in the mix. What a waste of electricity.

ikr, that’s a bit confusing… they have the “fibre box” (ONT) which is the Nokia device, and then the Spark router (which is called spark modem, for some reason - which also routes the internet via wi-fi).

I also tried to clone the MAC address, no luck.

Try it this way and see if it works

Unfortunately, that didn’t work as well.

You need to bind eth0.10 to the WAN port

1 Like

Read this page:

https://chrismolloy.com/p216.php

1 Like

that’s great! thanks so much @wcs2228 and @dengxinfa, managed to connect using your references.

lucy > network > interfaces > wan > edit > physical settings > eth0.10

for future references, here’s my config:

1 Like