Can not tether OnePlus phones with Flint

Tethering testing with various android phones, an iPhone and various GLiNet routers.

GL-AX1800 Flint * firmware version 3.208 {QSDK11 (openwrt 15.05.1)}
iPhone SE (2020), iOS 15.1 - Detected and connects to internet
Nexus 6P, Android 8.1 - Detected and connects to internet
Oneplus 8 Pro, Android 11 - Not detected
Oneplus 6T, Android 11 - Not detected

GL-S1300 Convexa-S * firmware version 3.211 {QSDK11 (openwrt 15.05.1)}
Oneplus 8 Pro, Android 11 - Not detected
Oneplus 6T, Android 11 - Not detected

GL-MV1000 Brume * firmware version 3.211 (openwrt 19.07)
Oneplus 8 Pro, Android 11 - Detected and connects to internet
Oneplus 6T, Android 11 - Detected and connects to internet

Notes:
All android phones used the same USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the Brume.
‘Detected’ means the WebUI updates to show tethering as an option.
‘Not Detected’ means the tethering option in WebUI remains grayed out.

Conclusions:
For GLiNet devices using QSDK11 which is based on an older version of OpenWRT. Tethering only works for devices that are compatible with that version of OpenWRT. Which seems to be android devices that existed around that time. And iPhone because the hardware ID hasn’t changed?
While GLiNet devices running the more recent OpenWRT have no issues connecting to recent phones.

Questions:
Are my OnePlus phones not detected by the older OpenWRT because of how new the phone manufacturer was when that version was released? Since it seems new Samsung phones work OK.
Is anyone else running into tethering issues with the GL products based on the older OpenWRT?
Does anyone have a solution to get tethering working for the OnePlus phones on the products using the older OpenWRT (like the Flint) besides just installing a never version of OpenWRT?

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will check it.

Mmm

I have just connected my

• Xiaomi Mi 9T
  • Android 11
  • Release June 12 2019 (So sits between release of your two OnePlus)
    to my
  • Flint
  • Firmware 3.208
  • OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1

and tethering works fine.

1 Like

Interesting, Xiaomi as a manufacturer released their first phone in 2011. OpenWRT 15.05 was released in 2016. And OnePlus released their first phone in 2014.

That seems to match my theory that OnePlus was just a very new phone manufacturer at the time that version of OpenWRT was released and not included for identification. So it looks like a found an edge case for phone tethering. I’m still wondering if anyone knows of a workaround besides waiting for the hardware to support a newer version of OpenWRT?

I have the same issue with my Motorola Edge Plus. It’s a newer phone running Android 11. I can tether several of other phones like a Moto X4, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra, IPhone 11 and 12. The Motorola Edge Plus works fine with my Beryl (GL-MT1300), as do all the other devices I previously mentioned. Please help!

Any Update? I need this to work with my Motorola Edge Plus

Sorry, it will take some time.

I have a Motorola one 5G UW and I can not get it to Tether to my AX1800.
It works fine with my AX750s and I have the latest updates.

Just found out that if I used a different phone it would connect without any problem. So the Motorola One 5G UW does not work with the GL-AX1800/Flint but does work with my GL-AR750S Ext. My Google 4A 5G works with both as well as my Blade X1 5G. You would think that if it worked with thr GL-AR750s Ext then it should work with the better Router the GL-AX1800/Flint…

1 Like

It seems like this is not about which version of Android we are using on a given phone. This issue is tied to the underlying hardware in the phone and the drivers loaded on OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 for that hardware (or lack thereof, in this case). In order for a device to work, those drivers must be loaded into the kernel on the router. I actually went through the process of building a development box and loading the SDK for this version, but I have not had a chance to attempt package builds yet. This router is a fail, in my opinion, until it’s updated with the latest build of OpenWRT.

2 Likes

I have noticed a similar but slightly different issue regarding tethering. Perhaps it is related so I thought I would post my problem here. My variation is that the phone is detected and connects but I do not get internet access. When the phone is connected to windows laptops (2 different laptops) I can connect and get internet access.

GL-X750V2 Spitz * firmware version 3.211
Honor 8, Android 7.0 - Detected and does NOT connect to internet

GL-AX1800 Flint * firmware version 3.208
Honor 8, Android 7.0 - Detected and does NOT connect to internet

Because the phone is detected and connects it seems this might not be a driver issue. But, I’m not very familiar with the inner workings of these devices.

Is this a related issue? Or, completely different?

As both are Huawei’s phones, can you let me know what is the IP address the router got from the phone?

I remember that Huawei also use 192.168.8.1 as IP address but not sure if this is the case of phones.

Make sure the LAN IP settings are DIFFERENT to the USB tethering and the custom DNS points to the USB GATEWAY (not the phone ip).

WRONG NETWORK SETTINGS:
USB IP 192.168.8.XXX (OK)
LANIP 192.168.8.1 (WRONG!)

CORRECT NETWORK SETTINGS:
USB IP 192.168.8.XXX
LANIP 192.168.X.1 (replace the X with anything between 1 and 254 EXCEPT for 8 eg “254”).

If still no joy put the router in the dmz (the ip you chose in LAN IP, eg 192.168.254.1).

You’re welcome.