Change outgoing TTL

When I put this this command “iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65” into firewall - custom rules, it doesn’t work. I ping the router and my ttl still shows as 64. I have the Beryl AX running firmware 4.5.0 beta right now, which is based on openwrt 21.02.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I believe the custom rules are firewall4, only for nftables.

But if I’m correct in the gl firmware they already added a rule for firewall.user put it in there, its located in /etc/firewall.user, though i find the documentation poorly explained about this part, but i believe this file still would work with iptables, so my guess is: please try it :slight_smile:

If not you need this snippet in your firewall config:

config include
	option path '/etc/firewall.user'
	option reload '1'

^ you may need one extra option telling its not compatible with fw4 or something i believe, perhaps my link to the documentation shows it.

1 Like

hi,
Please install two plug-ins iptables-mod-conntrack-extra and iptables-mod-ipopt.

1 Like

Thank you. Installing those two plugins allowed that firewall custom rule to work on changing my TTL to 65. However, looks like connecting my computer to my Beryl AX with this TTL change, connected to my phone’s T-Mobile hotspot, does not seem to bypass the speed throttling. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to bypass T-mobile’s hotspot speed throttling with the Beryl AX?

Let’s try one thing. Insert your SIM card in a phone. Use network analyzer app to figure out default TTL. Instead of 65, use that value in TTL mod and put SIM back in router. Let me know if it helps with speed. :wink:

how did you find the TTL value in network analyzer? I did not see that value in the non pro app.

I have network analyzer pro. Turn off wifi. Go to tools > query > ping > cnn.com. Click on results. That’s your default TTL.

1 Like

Still verifying, but I think your hint helped me to get the ttl thing working on my mudiv2 and cirrus lte. Thanks.

edit: also worked on the shadow16

2 Likes

x3000 Version: 4.0-0405release1

here to inform modem ttl setting works (for Malaysia telco digi/celcomdigi)

Did you get this working? My Beryl AX shows up tomorrow and I’ll be doing this.

Gl-mt3000 - Technical Support for Routers - GL.iNet (gl-inet.com)

FYI if you’re just using this for a PC you can change the TTL in Windows registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DefaultTTL

I got the TTL change to work on my Beryl AX.
However, I blew through my 5gb hotspot in about an hour streaming 4k.

I had to Disable IPV6 on the router, could also do it on the Pixel 6 phone with apn setting or VPN hotspot app.

Now it’s not speed limited.

Unfortunately nothing has worked for me using the Beryl AX and Verizon M3100 hotspot device. While I’m able to change the TTL successfully, it does not bypass the throttling. So Verizon must have other ways by now to detect off-device traffic. Now I’m wondering if a potential solution is to ditch the M3100 Verizon and pop my nano SIM into a GL.iNet router which accepts SIM and try the TTL from there.

Edit: Just ordered the Mudi. Going to give it a try.

Yeah, and FWIW I use my data-only “unlimited” AT&T and T-Mobile (US) Tablet SIMs into my SpitzAX and both get full speeds w/o any TTL trickery; I guess as they eliminate the hop between the phone’s radio and the GL device the TTL just comes out as if it were native to a phone.

Update: Received the Mudi. I first ran Network Analyzer Pro on my iPhone to find the TTL which is 114. With this info, I popped my Verizon data hotspot SIM into my Mudi and changed the TTL to be 114 (also tried >114). Interestingly, using the modem setting’s TTL field didn’t work; it would keep setting it to 113. So I went the Custom Rules route in the Firewall LuCi settings and then confirmed the TTL was indeed 114 by pinging 8.8.8.8 on my Mac. Speed test, still throttled. Also tried enabling my Wireguard VPN with no success and even changing Safari agent to iPhone. Also tried plugging ethernet between Verizon M3100 to Mudi and still no luck. I’m at a loss of ideas at this point.

Did you just try set up as 65?

1 Like

Yes. I tried 65, 66, 117. And now I just upgraded my Mudi to firmware 4.39 and I can’t access 192.168.8.1 anymore…

Does the LCD display that the router is booted?

Yes, it’s normal. “Insert SIM Card and Reboot”. I am connected to the Mudi’s Wi-Fi and I previously had it setup in repeater mode wired connected to my Verizon Inseego M3100 modem.

I am on 4.3.9 and seems everything is fine. Do you still get valid IP 192.168.8.x from it

I can’t connect to the gateway and see anything. The internet connection via the wired connection to the M3100 modem still works, but I just can’t access 192.168.8.1 anymore, nor ping it. I was previously on 3.x firmware and now I’m screwed.