Complaint: cannot connect to mango v2 with chromebook (solved)

I’m suspecting a race-condition between the associate request and the start of the handshake - since Mango is using the MTK closed source driver, it’s a ghost-hunt here.

If the handshake isn’t started…

@czsmith @sfx2000
I have communicated with the original MTK factory and have not given me a solution. I will continue to look at this issue here.

@chromebook @czsmith
We purchased the problematic chromebook (C732-C6WU), system version: 79.0.3945.86, I modified the wifi driver, tested the firmware in the attachment, AP mode, connected 50 times, there was no problem connecting, AP + repeater Mode, test connection 50 times, all can be successful, the latest firmware has been sent to you by email, you can upgrade this firmware and try it, looking forward to your feedback results, thank you.

1 Like

I greatly appreciate the effort at solving this issue.

However, from your last comments in this thread it seemed like this problem was not going to move forward so I gave my mango away to someone without a chromebook.

If I come across another mango I would be happy to test for you but it is unlikely.

Frankly, I am much happier with the atheros-based slate I have now so in the future I think that I would rather avoid mediatek (I was dubious to begin with to be honest).

Thanks again, and apologies for not being able to help further.

Hello there,

I have the same problem with a Pixelbook (Google’s chromebook with Intel chip) when using the latest stable firmware (mt300n-v2-3.025). I did an upgrade to 2.3.100-1217 (OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.196.56128-9112198)) and it fix the issue.

My 2 cents.

Torpi

1 Like

I thout I was using the “Pre-release[2]” and not openwrt when downloading from here: GL.iNet download center

I used 3.100 pre release and not 3.0 openwrt.
The gl.inet interface in 3.100 is the same as in 3.025.

Anyway I would be happy to test the new firware but not sure where to get it.

Torpi

Oh my bad… I completely misunderstood

Is it the same as the one you received by mail?

no I don’t think so - the one I received by email is dated january, not December.

Are you sure that you were suffering from the same issue before using the latest pre-release firmware?

I can pass the email on if you want to try the firmware, but it is probably better to just ask for it yourself as it’s not mine to give.

I’m sure that @wellnw would be happy to have feedback though… Already the information you provided stating that with 3.100 the issue is fixed for you must be useful.

I am not sure I am suffering from the same issue because I did not have time to take the logs but the behavior was that I was able to connect with an IOS (iPhones), Windows 10, but not the Chromebook with the same error you mentioned. I was only able to connect once after about 30 trials. With the update I can connect with the Chromebook. I also rebooted the router and chromebook and was able to reconnect. I would be happy to test anything if you want @wellnw

Can you pls try this firmware @torpi ?

openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-gl-mt300n-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade_2020_01_02

@alzhao will do tonight and report back. From 3.100 can I keep the config or should I start from scratch?

I think that does not matter. But you’d better start from scratch

I confirm that I can connect with my Google Pixelbook (chromebook) with this firmware (openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-gl-mt300n-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade_2020_01_02).

Good. Thanks for your feedback.

@czsmith can you try the new firmware as well. If you can give a positive feedback we will mark this solved.

@alzhao - I tested the Chromebook against the firmware version GL-iNet mailed me, and found that I was able to connect.

There are still problems with some connection attempts failing and there is enormous variability in connect times, but at least I am able to get a connection within a minute the first time and rarely more than 30 seconds thereafter.

This is “good enough”, though I emailed back pcap traces showing the handshake timeout persists.

I am satisfied that enough progress has been made that the Mango is usable with this Chromebook.

Question: is the driver software in the version you emailed the same as the 3.100 pre-release version on your download page?

As a complimentary question, should we use the firmware you sent rather than 3.100 pre-release while we wait for the PR to be merged in a stable release?

I am not sure. @wellnw is on holiday and hope he can answer later.

I will mark this as solved now.

@czsmith
Sorry to reply to you so late, I can’t work at home due to holidays
I emailed your version driver is not the same as 3.100 version. I emailed a bug that could not enable MIMOPSMode in MTK driver. Now you can control it by modifying / etc / config / wireless configuration to mimops.
Finaly, thank you for your help and feedback, I am glad to communicate with you about technical issues.

@torpi
Yes, but the firmware I sent did not undergo rigorous testing. I mainly optimized the problem of chromebook connection. We plan to release the latest firmware in February

1 Like