Configure GL-inet x750

You should format the card to ext4 format in order to use as exroot.

You should not remove any packages in the default firmware. It is readonly. After remove you don’t have more space at all. These packages are critial. We have removed in the latest firmware.

1 Like

For basic File Sharing over the network, FAT32 format is fine.

For moving /overlay to USB stick, use EXT4 format.

1 Like

Can you confirm my understanding that /rom files cannot be removed, but there are also /usr files that take up space and can be removed?

I agree that, in general, firmware packages should not be removed. Since it seems file sharing is not installed in the stock firmware, what is the procedure for sharing files as advertised?

Share Files Across Devices

Spitz has a built-in MicroSD slot that supports maximum 128GB MicroSD card. With the extra storage, you can create a local network drive to store data and share them with your laptop and other compatible devices as long as it is connected to the Wi-Fi.

1 Like

I’ve looked in Software and I would not know how the difference between rom and usr files but my understanding is rom cannot be removed, Im not sure Im understanding your question with that?
Reading what you have posted above (Share Files Across Devices) it is saying to me that with the SD card you can create a local network drive to store data and share them with your laptop and other compatible devices, but not saying you can use this space to install additional packages that the router would use in its operation? Is it that this SD card cannot be used for the desired purposes?

My understanding is that packages in the firmware stored on /rom that cannot be removed. However, many of those packages also have related files on /usr and/or other directories that are removable, especially dynamic data. I asked @alzhao for confirmation because he stated that “After remove you don’t have more space at all”.

I disagree that ALL these packages are CRITICAL for EVERYONE. Many operating system installations (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux) include applications, utilities and software that are not used by everyone and can be considered “bloatware” (e.g., from Microsoft, PC manufacturer, Apple, McAfee, Norton). I agree that, IN GENERAL, GL-iNet firmware packages should not be removed.

GL-iNet advertises that the GL-X750 supports maximum 128GB MicroSD card and you can share them with other devices, but your experience has proven otherwise, so far. Hence, I asked @alzhao for a procedure for sharing files as GL-iNet advertises. I do not think it is reasonable to expect owners to have to remove packages, nor install or move packages onto the SD card, in order to have enable file sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for your continued support wsc2228. Ive formatted the SD card to ext4 and tried again many of the obvious settings, but it still does not work!
It would be great if there was some procedure that could be followed!!!

Isn’t it simple? https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/setup/gl-mt1300/applications/#file-sharing

The router is differnt from a PC. Not all packages are critical but unlike a pc, which user applications are well tested by the developers, and you can remove them without problem. But for most Microsoft stuff, you cannot remove. Best way is to have a very large disk and let it go.

Hi alzhao
Any chance of a procedure to get the sd card to work… I already tried the ext4 format and it does not work either!

Did you even read the first 3 posts?

File Sharing could not be installed.

1 Like

I believe you misunderstood my statement.

For example, on my GL-MV1000W, the following applications are installed with the firmware:

AdGuardHome, Tor, Captive Portal, IGMP Snooping

Although there are owners who use some or all these features, I personally have zero interest in any of them and they are all “bloatware” to me. Hence, I disagree that ALL these packages are CRITICAL for EVERYONE.

The main difference between the router and a PC is that I am able to uninstall most bloatware from a PC, but I cannot completely bloatware from the router’s rom. I definitely uninstall bloatware whenever I set up a new PC, even if it has a 1TB drive.

I disagree that the “Best way is to have a very large disk and let it go”. Some of that bloatware runs in the background, consuming CPU/memory and slowing down the PC. Some of that bloatware has bugs and may interfere with or be incompatible with applications that you later install. Some of that bloatware may have security vulnerabilities and/or send out my data. Some of that bloatware produces annoying popup messages and/or log error/unknown messages. Bloatware takes up disk space, so full image PC backups take longer to run and requires more backup storage.

The x750 has unfortunately proven to be the worst GL.iNet product that I have owned and tried ( even worse than the Creta which I thought was horrible) and I have had a whole lot of their routers in use but none that supports LTE. It is absolutely not fit for purpose and should not be on sale. I have just replaced it by a Teltonika and could not be happier for making this move.

1 Like

Sometimes I had the same problems with my old 512Mb USB sticks that are formatted in ext4 file system but never worked with the 2 AR750 routers.

I solved it by changing the Cluster Size when formatting which you have to set to default size. I don’t remember the size now.

By the way, I use Disk Genius to format my USB sticks in ext4. I hope it helps you.

I do not agree but I do not know Teltonika. I bought these routers first because of their size and then because of their specifications because in my country a few years ago it was forbidden to bring any type of router and they were easily camouflaged among the things in the suitcases with a little aluminum foil to avoid X-Ray inspection.

I have 2 AR750 along with an AR750S and they work fine for me, I just have to know their limitations, but I have wifi and share files in a big house with no problems, all routers with wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, guest wifi and I used, but already no (my teenage daughter used to ate all the LTE data in one bite lol), another separate 2.4Ghz SSID with a separate LTE device on a second WAN set up “just” for WhatsApp for my family because unfortunately I don’t have 24-hours of internet in my country.

Thanks David. I am sure that it is fine enough if you are so limited in terms of what you can get but for the x750’s high price tag and if you have the choice for other much better LTE routers, then the poor hardware choices (such small memory) and flaky firmware, then it is absolutely not good value for money. Also GL.iNet appear to have hiked up all of their prices a bit over past couple of days here in the UK (for example £10 more for the Mango than what I paid for it before). What the heck is this all about?