Connect/Stop Network Interface Via The Command Line

Greetings: I have an GLI AR150. On LUCI’s advanced interface there is a Networks/Interfaces tab that lists several named interfaces, including the WAN. Next to each named network interface their are connect, and stop buttons. I need to know how to perform the connect, and stop operations on a named network interface from the command line please.

I understand this could be somewhat risky. I have setup a dailup connection via PPP. The local IP address is not known until after the chat script is complete, and anyway I don’t want to add the namesevers to the resolv.conf.auto until the PPP connection is complete. Pressing the Connect button in Luci performs this functionality for me. I wish to automate this step upon ip-up running, or start my dailup interface once the ppp interface is up.

My apologies, this is one of those questions that seems to defy a search engine.

Also, I would like to know where the interface, and firewall files are located on the ar150 please. I would like to tar up this configuration for safe keeping. Can I place these files into a fresh ar150 an expect them to work? Would I just be able to go back to luci, and see everything is in place? Or am I getting too greedy at this point :slight_smile:

Thank You

The answer my first question the command is:

/sbin/ifup (interface name)

As stated I have placed it in ip-up.

That was the last bit of automation I needed. Now I can throw the hardware switch on the GLI AR 150, watch the leds go from red/middle green/to far green, and then I know my dialup connection is ready to be used by any device on my lan, or wlan. To hang up, I simply throw the switch back, or if the connection is lost my led goes back to red. In fact I am writing to you from dialup now.

This is the closest Unix documentation on the subject.

The luci, or Unified Configuration Interface, files are located in /etc/config; as explained in the link. The command:

ls -let

will allow you to list the files, once you are in the directory, in reverse order according to their last modified date. This could result in some early false hits for unrelated reasons. Yet this could show you files you have recently modified via the luci, or Lua Unified Configuration Interface; also-known-as the advanced settings interface provided after the initial GLI AR 150 logon screen.

You can then keep these files for safe keeping, to remember your configuration. Note: defaults are often omitted from the stored files, which is why some entries are shorter than you would expect. As these files are global in nature it might not be a good idea to blast over them with replacements. It might be better ideas to write install scripts to add new configurations to the files and then restart services, as documented in the link, or reboot the entire device to allow the changes to take place.

glad that you worked this out.

Thanks for sharing