Dedicated Nord IP on OpenVPN not connecting to client

Hi everyone, hope someone is able to help with this issue. Grateful for any advice.

I use a Slate AXT1800 VPN Router and connect to my Dedicated Nord IP address with the proper configuration files via OpenVPN.

It was working in the United States for months and was working in Sao Paulo, Brazil two weeks ago. However, I just moved over to Colombia and for some reason, I cannot connect to my Dedicated IP anymore (or any of the NordVPN servers).

I forever have a “The client is starting, please wait…” message.

Does anybody know what the issue could be? Thank you in advance.

Kiel

P.S. I am aware that Nord just changed their password authorization to only allow manual server setup, but I did that and it changed nothing. I recently downloaded the new 4.2.1 firmware as well.

Here is a copy of the code I am receiving:

Wed Jul 5 16:22:56 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash ‘SHA512’ for HMAC authentication
Wed Jul 5 16:22:56 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash ‘SHA512’ for HMAC authentication
Wed Jul 5 16:22:56 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET] (CURRENT IP ADDRESS)
Wed Jul 5 16:22:56 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: Socket Buffers: R=[87380->87380] S=[16384->16384]
Wed Jul 5 16:22:56 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET](CURRENT IP ADDRESS) [nonblock]
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: TCP connection established with [AF_INET](CURRENT IP ADDRESS)
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: TCP_CLIENT link local: (not bound)
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: TCP_CLIENT link remote: [AF_INET](CURRENT IP ADDRESS)
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET](CURRENT IP ADDRESS), sid=4fe9951b 3b949077
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: VERIFY OK: depth=2, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN Root CA
Wed Jul 5 16:22:57 2023 daemon.notice ovpnclient[7918]: VERIFY OK: depth=1, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN CA8
etc etc. nothing that stands out.

Do you have a UDP based profile you can try? It looks like something is hanging on Nord’s side in trying to re-assign a link. Switching to UDP might force them to re-establish a tunnel properly.

This is, of course, speculation.

(Also: Switch to WireGuard. Seriously, get on Nord’s case if they can’t help you set it up. WG stomps all over OVPN’s speeds so greatly it’s not even a fair competition. It’s why I picked up the Slate AX.)

@bring.fringe18

I set a UDP Port Forward and still no dice, but I appreciate your advice.

I would have gone with a WireGuard VPN right away, but wanted something with dedicated IP in the Northeast of the US - Nord was the most obvious choice at the time. I’m starting to realize why that may have been a mistake, though.

Are there any WireGuard VPN’s that have good Dedicated IP in New York/New England that you know of off the top of your head?

Thank you!

That’s not quite what I meant; now I don’t use Nord but I think I recall from others on these forums they’re like over VPN providers in that they provide OVPN profile conf files in TCP or UDP connectivity. TCP is always going to be slower even w/ OVPN.

That’s a pretty specific need & it’s understandable why you’d choose Nord. I’m not aware of any other major player that still even offers port forwarding, let alone dedicated IPs… & I’m not sure I’d bother, anyways:

I’m not sure I’d even bother w/ Nord in your case. Another user on this form runs their own WG server, thereby a dedicated IP, on a Virtual Private Server provider called Hetzner. VPS providers are near a dime a dozen & range in price, features. Another well established provider is OVH. They have a major datacentre in Montreal, QC, Canada so I don’t think the geographic distance is going to be much of an issue if any.

(LowEndBox is a site/forum dedicated to reviewing VPS providers if you wanted more alternatives for choice.)

WireGuard setup, configuration, administration is all handled by Angristan’s software. WireGuard is quite easy to set up. It really is. Just yesterday I set up my GL Flint to act as a inter-LAN WG server for a spare GL device I had kicking around, a Certa:

(I had never set up a WG server before yesterday. While GL’s GUI makes it simple it really is just a matter of knowing which configuration files… which are nothing more than text files… to edit. Angristan’s software would handle that for you.)

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ca/vps/limited-edition/