Docker on GL-AX1800 Flint not working

I’m unable to get the docker daemon running? I get:

root@GL-AX1800:~# docker ps
Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

I have done the following:

• Updated to firmware 4.2.1
  • extroot a USB stick using the official guide so plenty of disk space
  • Installed the dockerd, docker & luci-app-dockerman packages
  • Ran service dockerd start

When running dockerd, I get:
failed to start daemon: Devices cgroup isn't mounted

Anyone able to replicate this?

Any help / thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Do you see any other errors when installing dockerd?

@luochongjun Only the following error when installing (opkg install docker dockerd luci-app-dockerman):

Configuring btrfs-progsuci: Entry not found

The following error when running docker (dockerd):

failed to start daemon: Devices cgroup isn't mounted

See attached install.txt & dockerd.log for the full output
docker_install.zip (2.7 KB)

Also, Same device, same procedure.

It’s so annoying that I followed many guides just to get more space to install images/containers on SD card. This alone was tedious and involved many failures, as the AX1800 initially simply did not want to recognize the SD card on its own. After a few restarts and new settings of the entire router, since it is not explained anywhere that after integrating a new overlay mount the router also goes to “factory settings”, it finally worked and I was very happy.

Then I install Docker from the official repository from the preconfigured opkg repos, i.e. not from any dubious sources that have nothing to do with openWRT.
The first thing I noticed was that Dockerman shows nothing more than a “configuration page”… There is no information as to why Docker management is not possible there. After many annoying attempts, I found out that it was probably because the service wasn’t started and couldn’t be started because something was missing.

failed to start daemon: Devices cgroup isn’t mounted

Why is it in the repo if it doesn’t work anyway?

Finally I came across the post in the OpenWRT forum where you have to build your own openWRT image in order to build support for cgroup into the kernel.
I won’t pursue this any further now because:
a) it’s not certain that it will work at all (who knows what will happen or won’t work after I’ve spent hours building an image)
b) I then no longer have a gl.Inet web interface. (I strongly assume)

That everything always has to be so complicated…

And now the haters can talk about my post.

I like gl.inet products and have been buying them for years. Even if this problem is not directly related (or maybe it is?) to gl.inet:
I see it like the German TÜV does when it comes to the technical inspection of a car: If something is available and installed, it must work.

1 Like

Why are you wanting to run docker on the Flint? Isn’t it quite limited on space? Grab a raspberry pi 4 and run it on there would be my suggestion.
I could imagine the Flint may struggle a little if you end up running a heap of containers too.

I actually think it’s an excellent idea. I bought Flint 2 and I’m definitely going to try running docker on it once I get it set up

Flint 2 should be fine. But post was about Flint 1

Uh sorry… i’am actually using AXT1800.

Argh my bad sorry. I always get confused between the 2. AXT1800 and AX1800