[Firmware 4.2.3] Slate Plus (GL-A1300) with Tailscale Exit Nodes

I recently purchased an A1300 which according to the documentation does/should support Tailscale. It arrived a couple of days ago and I have been unsuccesfuly trying to get it working since. It came pre-loaded with V4.x firmware, but I updated it yesterday to V4.2.3 which is the latest stable release. I had no problem with the initial configuration through the normal UI and I can see it in my Tailscale console. I can reach my remote network devices through the remote networks local IP addresses, but I can’t access the internet through the remote network exit node which I have selected on the A1300. I want to be able to log on to the A1300 via Wi-Fi and be able to access my remote network and to be able to direct all internet access through the remote exit node much like a normal VPN. On the basis that the configuration was easy and the A1300 was correctly registered on to my Tailscale network I can’t understand why it won’t work. I have read the documentation multiple times, I have scoured this forum and read about several “workarounds” people used over the last year or two but surely these have been resolved now in the current stable release. If Tailscale is still not working I may as well stick with my AR750S which has performed brilliantly for the last 3 years all be it without Tailscale. I would really appreciate some help or confirmation that it does or doesn’t work for others. Thanks very much in advance.

Tailscale is still ‘beta’ per the GL GUI. Exit nodes aren’t supported yet but here’s a workaround while we all wait:

Thanks very much I will give it a try. I saw from the documentation that Tailscale was in beta and to quote “ buggy”. There is a big difference between “buggy” and just not working! If my team released code on that basis we would all be looking for new employment. Hopefully this works otherwise I will send it back to Amazon for a refund and carry on with my AR750S

1 Like

Well… to be fair there’s a difference between ‘buggy’ & ‘unsupported.’ I’ve raised similar concerns to GL re: TS. I told 'em to the effect I think all references to it should be removed until it matches full TS feature set.

Welcome to GL firmware, my guy; expect to always be one stable version behind upstream OpenWrt. Regardless this hardware is far more open than Asus, Netgear, TP-Link, Linksys, etc…

Thanks very much for your help however although I followed the instruction and then factory rest and tried again I still couldn’t get it to work. I was going to send it back to Amazon as I have a perfectly good AR750S however regardless of anything else It’s a good little travel router so I will keep it and use Wireguard. Hopefully They will resolve the TS issue in due course.

1 Like