Firmware release v2.27

You are doing something very wrong - how do you get to your ISP router when you are connected by cable to the GL?
I would advise checking that your WiFi is disabled!

If you get 2.22 installed, why not simply upgrade via the web interface (do not save settings)?

@viking777 Are you connecting both of WAN and LAN when entering u-boot interface? You can’t connect GLI router’s wan port to your ISP. Only connect lan to your computer when entering u-boot interface.

I tried out the 2.27 firmware on GL-MT300N-V2, primarily focus on openvpn client section…its not working to expectation comparing to 2.264 firmware.

1. disable openvpn, status says “connecting…” instead of “not connected”

2. change configuration file to different vpn server and click apply, changes appeared to have been accepted but in reality, nothing changed until I reboot. With 2.264, all it takes is one apply click, no reboot.

May be its operator error, but please verify the VPN address with either speed-test or my-ip-locator

I am currently on v2.27 and it is working just fine. Factory reset, then followed the guide to use TLS encrypted DNS with Cloudflare. So far, everything has been great.

@ABuis For TLS encrypted DNS, we will check it.

@glitch Wifi is disabled.
@kyson-lok I have tried both the wan and the lan port to enter the uboot interface, but not at the same time - as you said the lan port is the best.

I gave this procedure a rest for a day and then tried again, but this router is hard bricked, there is no way I can recover it. I have tried 3 different computers running 3 different operating systems and a total of 5 different browsers, the result is the same at all times. The browser will connect to the uboot interface, it will allow you to search for and select the img file to flash, but that is all. As soon as you press the ‘upload firmare’ button it stops working. Some browsers just permanently say ‘connecting to host’ (or something like that) some browsers just say ‘connection reset’. In all cases there is no firmware upload and consequently no flash ever takes place. I must have done this procedure 50 times yesterday and that is the result every time. There is no activity on the red router light at any time during this ‘upload’ process. What is more I have pressed the reset button so many times that it is now broken and I have to dismantle the router and press the button directly on the motherboard.

My router is permanently bricked after the failed flash of 2.27 firmware and there is no way I can recover it.

Thank you for your help anyway.

I might be wrong but I doubt Uboot will “boot” if you are hard-bricked.
What firmware file are you using?

You might be able to use TFTP (Installing OpenWrt via TFTP [Old OpenWrt Wiki]) but wait for Alzhao to confirm before trying.

Fwiw I am using

openwrt-gl-ar300m-clean-2.264.img

But it makes no difference because nothing ever gets uploaded anyway!
Tftp does not look very user friendly to me.

TFTP is a piece of cake!
Set a few IP’s, run the client (tftp2.exe), enter firmware and click start, wait 2 minutes, job done!

As I said, best to wait for Alzhao to confirm before you try.

I think you may just need an exchange. If the uboot doesn’t work for you then it will not work. This is something mysterious.

Upgraded to 2.27 and found my USB wireless card stopped working.

After resetting several times i’ve now found out that the drivers that were previously present in 2.264 are now missing. ie kmod-rt2800-usb Easy fix once i realised i needed to install the packages but it would have been nice for this to be in the update notes.

@markb OK, we see that. It can be installed on the APP Repo filed of GLI’s web. Will build-in it next release.

Hi,
Yesterday morning I woke up without internet. It took me a while to notice that the only thing changed was the software version (from 2.264 to 2.7)

I am using the router GL-AR300M16-Ext as bridge to an open Wifi (with WISP). After the tremendous upgrade I noticed that the web interface is not responsive (for example, changing the Mac address it doesn’t update the correct new value -it is updated in luci tho). in addition, there is not internet at all (I can still see the hotspot in the list, it says connected with the correct ip address and dns, but there is no way I can see a captive portal). I even tried to grant the access using my mobile phone, cloning the mac address of the router: I ended up having internet on my mobile phone but not on my computer connected to the wifi via your router. I tried to do a factory reset and a few more resets, but nothing changed.
I hope you can fix it.

Update: I installed back the 2.264 version and everything is working fine again.
Thanks

@Breath81

1. I doubt that how can you access web when it is bridged.
  2. v2.27 has the functionality of wisp bridge, you can try to connect to main router via wisp, and then select switch button to wisp bridge, and then move it right edge.

Thank you for your answer.
“I doubt that how can you access web when it is bridged.” What do you mean? During the last year I have been connecting your router to a pub wifi hotspot doing:

• New connection
  • Repeater
  • Selecting the SSID, leaving the password empty, selecting the WISP mode,
  • Clicking Submit.
    After that, the captive portal was opening in my android tv box browser, and I was getting internet.

With the 2.27 version this is not working anymore.

“v2.27 has the functionality of wisp bridge, you can try to connect to main router via wisp, and then select switch button to wisp bridge, and then move it right edge.”
I am confused: Which button? Plus, why should this procedure be completely different from the 2.264?
And again, why is not working with 2.27 but it is working just fine with the 2.264 and previous ones (as I said, it was working, it stopped working with 2.27 and it back working when I re-flashed the old version 2.264).
Now, I have to admit, I am not Bill Gates, but if it worked for 1 year and half and stopped working flashing the 2.27 I would say that there is a big problem with this last version.

Thank you

@Breath81 Sorry for that I hava misunderstood what you said. That is repeater not bridge mode, and this procedure is the same as 2.264. I’m strange that the repeater doesn’t work for you. It works fine for me. We will try more.

For the portal process, v2.27 should be pretty much the same as v2.264 and I tested exactly the same as you today.

What you need to note is that, untick “dns rebind-protection” in dns page. You may need to do this first before connecting repeater.

Thank you. My bad, I used the wrong term. I tried several times, even changing back the DNS of the hotspot provider, and nothing worked. The thing i noticed, the MAC address page didnt change even when I was changing it. I was able to see the changes in Luci, tho.

Hi,
I tried almost everything: I unticked them, I changed the DNS’s to the ones of the hotspot provider and so on, but nothing happened. The hotspot portal wasn’t kicking in, so I could not have access to internet.
I cannot remember if I unticked them before or after, tho. I will install back the 2.27 and see.

However, the weird thing is: I had internet (so I was connected to the hotspot) but internet stopped working as soon as the firmware was updated. Now, if I don’t change my mac address, the hotspot still recognises my router as “already logged in” so I should be able to keep surfing in internet without any problem. Why, after the update, everything stopped working?