Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) and LTE Modem

Hello,
My ISP gave me an Alcatel IK41VE1 4G USB stick which is an actual 4G modem.
However, I struggle to make it work.

First of all, when I connect the modem on the USB port, I get the message “Incompatible Modem” in an orange background in the “Cellular” section.
HOWEVER, the IMEI of the Modem, as well as the model number (IK41VE1) is reported back to the UI and I can send the basic AT commands (but not all of them).
In any case, is this 4G modem working with Flint 2?

I also need to understand the options. I never saw the options that are present in the GL-iNET interface, and I need to understand what they are.

• QMI, NCM, QCM. What are they and what do they mean?
  • TTL and HL have the same help, but what is the HL?
  • Final question. Usually, we have a “dial” option when we add the *99#. Is this omitted by design?

Should I add ModemManager and ModemManager Luci???

Let me ChatGPT it:

QMI (Qualcomm MSM Interface)

• What It Is: QMI is a protocol used primarily by Qualcomm cellular processors. It’s a way for the modem to communicate with the software in a device. Think of it as a language that the modem uses to talk to the device it’s in.
  • Purpose: It’s used for managing the modem’s functions like connecting to a cellular network, sending and receiving data, and getting information about the network.

NCM (Network Control Model)

• What It Is: NCM is another protocol used for communication between a cellular modem and the device it’s installed in. It’s more generic and not specific to any manufacturer like Qualcomm.
  • Purpose: NCM helps in managing network connections and data transmission. It’s widely used because it’s part of the USB standard for network devices.

QCM (Qualcomm Modem-enabled or Quectel Modem)

• What It Is: QCM can refer to two different things depending on the context. In the context of Qualcomm, QCM is part of a product name, indicating the integration of a cellular modem in devices like the QCM6490 chipset. This chipset is designed for robust IoT applications, offering integrated connectivity options including 5G, LTE, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. In the context of Quectel modems, QCM is a protocol specifically designed for Quectel’s hardware.
  • Purpose: For Qualcomm products, the “M” in QCM indicates “modem-enabled,” highlighting the presence of an integrated cellular modem. This integration facilitates various IoT applications requiring robust connectivity. In the case of Quectel, the QCM protocol is tailored to manage network connections and data transmission efficiently for Quectel modems.

TTL (Time To Live)

• What It Is: TTL is a setting in network packets that tells routers how long to keep the packet before discarding it. It’s a way to prevent data packets from circulating indefinitely.
  • Purpose: It’s used to manage network traffic and prevent network congestion.

HL (Hop Limit)

• What It Is: Hop Limit is similar to TTL but is specifically used in IPv6, the latest Internet Protocol version.
  • Purpose: Like TTL, it prevents data packets from circulating indefinitely in the network. Each time a packet passes through a router (hop), the Hop Limit decreases by one. When it reaches zero, the packet is discarded.

There’s a lot LTE modems incompatible, I’m being using this one and it works flawless INSEEGO

Thank you for your response!

So, now the only question is about the Modemamanager. Does it make any sense to install it?

No need to, the router UI takes care of it

1 Like