Flint (GL-AX1800) Latest firmware

Thanks tried that same result
Capture

I will have another go at the uboot tonight, I did use private browsing on Firefox, but I have Opera installed so I will try that as well, I’m not sure how the uboot would effect the problem I’m having, to add a few more details, when it happens it seems related to DNS as no browser works on either Wi-Fi or wired devices, but internet radio if already running carries on, I can’t get into the router wireless or wired, the only thing I can do is to interrupt the power to the router then when it restarts it works great for another day or so, I was thinking of having it auto reboot once a night, strange no else has the issue, never had this problem on 3** firmware.

Update latter the day
Well thanks to every one finally flashed the uboot file using opera the date of the uboot file has changed

its now 10 July 2022 Previously it was 31 August 2021, but still don’t know how to find out the version of uboot.
now i will have to wait to see if it still lockets up

1 Like

Unfortunately uboot updated latest firmware as mentioned previously, locks up solid after a few days can’t login to the web interface browser can’t obtain a dns sever that’s what seems to happen any fresh ideas, the only time I ever experienced this on this router was when I tried to remedy the local host problem in AdGuard, no attempts to do anything like that.
The only way out of this is to disrupt the power forcing a reboot

It looks like you did update Uboot ( Latests Version is 22.07.10)

Did you do a fresh install by Uboot of the firmware?

Are the random freezes when connected to WiFi or Ethernet?

It should not lock up I ran my Flint for 22 days straight with 35 devices. It restarted only when it ran out of memory because of adguardhomes issues. I have it restart every 7 days as a normal procedure.

Hi yes to both questions fresh install at 192.168.1.1 I’m beginning to think its to do with my VPN settings should the Global Options both be ticked as shown because i have had the second option unticked
Capture1

When using the Block Non-VPN Traffic is it still possible to have one client by MAC or IP address bypass the VPN I tried in the Modify Proxy Mode / Based on the Client Device but it gets blocked because I have Block Non-VPN Traffic selected but if I disable this and the VPN goes down all the clients access the WAN.

In other words I want one IP address or MAC address to access WAN without the VPN the rest via VPN with a kill switch.
Maybe the answer is the WireGuard settings not used that before.

But for now as I’ve ticked Services from GL.iNet don’t Use VPN to see if that is the cause of the lockups.

Why do you want only one IP to access WAN and the other goes via VPN? Can you explain?

But here is the recommended setup.

This option “Allow Access WAN” is used for local devices to access your WAN subnet but still use vpn for the reset traffic. It solves most of the user cases.

Also pls note, “Block Non-VPN Traffic” may not be useful for you. So do not use if this is not the purpose.

Sorry could you explain that a little more Alzhao. If I am understanding correctly if the router is 192.168.1.1 anything on 192.168.1.x is allowed to us the WAN without VPN. If its on 192.168.2.x it will be forced to the VPN even if on the exclusion list.

Suppose you have this setup:

Main router, subnet 192.168.1.1/24
AX1800 is connected to the main router, WAN IP 192.168.1.10, LAN subnet 192.168.8.1/24
Devices connected to AX1800 get 192.168.8.x

So when you set up vpn on AX1800, then use Global proxy, devices connected to AX1800 will go through VPN.

But suppose you have a NAS connected to the main router with IP 192.168.1.20. You still want to access this NAS. That option does this exactly. All devices on 192.168.8.x will be able to access 192.168.1.x but Internet traffic still goes via VPN.

Sorry I’ve cause utter confusion with 2 different questions I mentioned the 192.168.1.1 to say that’s where I flashed the firmware after I’d updated the firmware the most important problem is the locking up which I’m hoping it’s because I had the routers services going through the VPN doing this also makes a reboot very fast because the VPN hasn’t started so I’m now running it so that the routers services access the WAN.

The reason I was having one device not going through the VPN was a PC because some sites don’t like AdGuard running and it saves disarming it and using the windows VPN but I feel I’m making life more complicated then it needs to be so don’t worry about that question, thank you for answering that much appreciate, I’m now trying the router with everything going through the VPN except the Routers services hoping that will solve it locking up

1 Like

Seem to still have a complete lockup LAN and WLAN power disruption is the only way out, I’m convinced it’s a DNS problem, are the below settings correct, especially the second image for requests from clients, this is default not touched it

I am using AdGuard.

I have only 127.0.0.1 localhost listed and deleted the rest. They are only there for ip6 loopback. It may be that the computer not using the VPN is sending ipv6 request and not ipv4.

Ok maybe that’s the answer so just leave the one line
1 127.0.0.1 localhost

Good try on the 127.0.0.1 localhost still locked up.

What ever happened to the 127.0.0.1#3053 that AdGuard used to put in the DNS settings and in the DNS server page as well, I can only find it in LuCI.

Adguard home should be at your default gateway : 3000 ex (192.168.8.1:3000)

Hi sorry for the delay yes AdGuard home is there but I find you have to login to the router and then you can find it at 192.168.8.1:3000

Still getting lockups still haven’t tracked the cause, one thing that has happened since going to Version 4.1.0 is I get strange clients arrive in the Client list managed to take a screenshot this time:

I have had unknown clients with IP address like 192.168.1.12 but the weirdest has got to be the one above.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

169.254.67.16 is a self assigned IP address. So this seems just a bug. The firmware recorded some info that the client reported by chance. Need to look into it.

Thanks is that one if the reasons it was removed, we’re you aware of random lock ups, it’s seems related to DNS as no browser can access any website on hard wires LAN or WLAN you also can’t get into the routers gui hard reset by power disruption is the only way back into the router, if something is running like an internet radio or if a a download has started it is unaffected, that’s why I point to new DNS requests, I’m Running AdGuard, but I did deactivate it for 24 hours and the same thing happened, I’m also running SurfShark (wire guard) it is very random could happen twice in a day or not for 3 days or so.

I don’t know if this is related, but can you check When Admin panel is too slow or time out - #2 by alzhao