Flint WiFi issues

Have you upgraded firmware to 3.206?

3.206 is stock firmware, initial, there is no version above or below anywhere on download page :frowning:

Something is really bad with 2G wifi on this router as even with open ecryption lots of devices cant connect even on legacy 802.11g standard.

Can wifi chip be the problem, harware?

And not to mention that Andvanced settings (luci) is useless as it is prahistoric OpenWRT that has only wep for encryption…

Can you check if the firmware compile time is 1013?

If now download this firmware and upgrade. It may be a default encryption algorithm problem.
https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/ax1800/release/

Yes, it is the only firmware available for this router. From 2021-10-13. qsdk-ax1800-3.206-1013
As I menitoned, I tried reflashing it with fresh donwloaded firmware, but no luck, same problem…
Also, another note, devices are not that old to have problems, those devices can connect to 5G with no problem, but router just wont let them to 2G wifi for some reason. Really tried every setting I could think of, even manualy setting wifi country, same problem.

1 Like

Many of my ESP8266, ESP32 devices could not connect fo WiFi. Solution was to change 2.4G WiFi security to psk2+aes

config wifi-iface
	option encryption 'psk2+aes'
1 Like

I will check it, thanks.

But if that is the issue, why for the love of God it js not default to use psk+aes+tkip like almost every other router uses…

Firmware needs to be heavily revised and this openwrt version is useless for advanced settings.

Why did they go with unsuported cpu in the first place, that has problems with vlan from first day, I will never understand…

EDIT: Tried it, but same, I think it will go back to the store as obviously it has issues and I cant wait for them to solve it via update :frowning:

This is what is in system log. Client tries to connect, but router does not initiate 4-way handshaking…

wifi

1 Like

I agree, I’m returning mine. I feel like at this point I’m an unpaid tester for a product that was half baked and released too early.

2 Likes

Exactly, and for that price, I can get Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 which supports latest OpenWRT and works great.

Also, would appreciate if someone from GL.iNet staff would reply or something regarding this problem as it is present from first day…

It is unaceptable that devices wont connect to 2G wifi which is kinda legacy wifi. Even my printer from 2021 wont connect. Funny thing is that 2 of 3 smart plugs connect, even tough they are from same batch, so same hardware…

1 Like

Yeap RT3200/Linksys E8450 is good for OpenWrt. Now i’m buy Keenetic 3 pcs. with KN-1011 for AX mesh, they are have best OS for routers, working great but Opewrt is not supporting. My pre-ordered Flint’s is not delivered yet to me. What is your SSID name? Some devices not like simbols in name SSID’s ))).

Name is the same as it is for last 10 years as it is company name I have. No specials chars…

Connecting IoT devices? You can change to wpa/wpa-mixed.

Old WPA I did not use in 10 years… But I tried even that, no luck. Funny thing is that same device connects, then after router reboot it wont connect anymore. Then after multiple reboots it finally connects. Something is really wrong with 2G radio. I dont even know if it is software related, or hardware, but for sure I know problem is not in my (client) devices as they work without problems on any other wifi, even on any other device from GL-iNet :frowning:

1 Like

yea, something is not right on the 2g wifi, connection speed is under 1mbps and ping is +1000ms

5g wifi is ok when next to router but signal drops very quickly after 1 - 2 walls (lose to wrt32x)

also the temperature is quite hot to the touch.

at this rate, can only be a vpn server box

I returned it back to the store, as noone from the staff seems to be interested in helping…

Bought Belkin RT3200, flashed latest OpenWRT, everything works pefectly and faster as it has 2402Mbps AX radio and 64bit cpu.

Unfortunately, this is scenario how you lose customers…

1 Like

Where did you buy RT3200?

On Amazon. It was on sale, so I got it for the same price Flint was…

1 Like

Its 2.4G wifi is not AX. Maybe this is the reason it is more compatible with IoT devices.

We are testing compatibity with IoT devices.

Some days ago i’m bought 3 pcs Keenetic KN-1011

CPU MT7621AT, mipsel, 2C/4H, 880 Mhz
DDR3, 512 Mb
128 NAND
5 gigabit lan ports, wan gigabit port with SFTP mixed
1 × USB 3.0, 1 × USB 2.0, AX1800,
2.4 Ghz radio is 802.11b/g/n/ax, MT7915D, 574 Mb/s
5 Ghz radio is 802.11a/n/ac/ax, MT7915D, 1201 Mb/s

Keenetic have awesome KeeneticOS, but unfortunately have not support OpenWrt. This did not stop me and I bought 3 pcs routers. Working greate, 0 problems, and have very much manuals on Keenetic website, long time guaranties 4 years (4 years OS update) and good support.

But i’m still waiting my 2 pcs Flint’s, some month passed, no info where is my parcel. Writed in Gl-iNet support but they say need more time… Made order from Aliexpress some item, and my parcel delivered 6 days. I’m very disappointed in Flint and in Gl-inet routers. I’m sold out my 2 pcs Brume-w and Mango, lost half price cost money.

I never turned AX on 2.4GHz wifi as I only need it on 5GHz. I am not talking only IoT devices. For example, Nintendo Switch did not want to connect, Epson printer from 2020 did not want to connect, Sony TV, Motorola Halo camera, etc…

Good advice: you should make B revision and put cpu that is fully supported with latest openwrt. Everyone knows that this cpu has problems with vlan and lots of other bugs.

Another point: why is Flint identical to Huawei AX3 router? Is that the same device, but different software? That being said, Flint costs 3 times more just because of different OS?

1 Like

@hrvoje555 Sorry, but how can you make this comment when you haven’t even done the research?
So because they’re the same shape (kinda) , then they must be exactly the same unit and the Flint is 3 times the price. Perhaps have a look at the specs of the AX3 first (about a 30 second Google) and compare and if they’re the same make that comment. :slight_smile: