GL-A1300 Beta Testing Discussions

The Country is set to “US” in both my GL-A1300 and GL-AXT1800. 30 dBm is allowed on 5GHz UNII-1 indoors in North America.

Wireless-regdb limit UNII-1 txpower to 23. like this, but for axt1800 it’s managed by driver not wireless-regdb.

One question that confuses me is that if GL-A1300 has sensors built-in or not ? :thinking:
Can any GL staff confirm it ?

Since the initial firmware that the lm-sensors shows me that it has thermal sensors and also has temperature output, however the 4.0.0 beta 2 firmware, it tells me the router doesn’t have sensors anymore.

Initial firmware (4.0.0 alpha6) + lm-sensors:

4.0.0 beta2 firmware + lm-sensors:

2 Likes

Missed the kmod-thermal and kmod-hwmon-core, that will be fixed with the software repo. Thanks

4 Likes

Roger that, thanks !

lol i have the same problem as u, i received uk plug but i need eur, i probably received yours :rofl:

1 Like

Lol, this is so funny it’s unbelievable.

I can’t run tests till I get a UK plug I have set it up using the flints UK plug but as the performance test will be from flint to a1300 I need the second UK plug.

1 Like

Wireless-regdb should allow 30 dBm in Master/Access Point mode:

Yes, for both client and master mode to obey the limitation, 23 is the right value. db.txt can be manully edited to “(5150 - 5250 @ 80), (30),” to break it. Need to recompile wireless-regdb package.

Makes me wonder who in the US received an EU plug :wink: I got US instead of EU, but for now it will just use a Raspberry PI Power Supply. That’s also a smaller plug. I also wouldn’t mind getting the correct one.

1 Like

So far the router works great for me.

There where only two things I have been noticing:

• 5G wireless if you are close it works fine, but when you walk a room further then the speed changes dramaticly and gets alot slower, I compared the same with the 2G signal and the 2G signal seemed rather stable, so I was thinking about this, could it be that the device hasn’t enough power to penetrate through walls or is it maybe a driver related issue?, note: I got the US plug but I need the EU plug so instead I used the Slate Ax adapter, and I tested this on most recents beta firmware (beta2).

• On Wireguard I also noticed something interesting I saw this happening on the stock firmware (beta1) with bufferbloat it showed incredible high latencies + wifi, now on beta2 I just tried bufferbloat via lan and I see fine results 7ms ping without sqm, though when I have some time I should check on wifi aswell.

edit I made a little snipped of my foundings this was with wireguard off:

click to open
Wireless:
   Close proximity:
      5G:
         Download: '202.22MB/s'
	     Upload: '246.25MB/s'
	     Meters: '1M'
	  2G:
	     Download: '56.65MB/s'
	     Upload: '50.06MB/s'

Further proximity other room:
      5G:
	     # take attention to this part, 5G shows very decreased performance while 2G performs stable, this might be a driver related issue or power limitation.
		 # this couldn't be fully tested because I wasn't able to use the original power cable, I used the one from the slate ax with a EU plug.
         Download: '112.60MB/s'
	     Upload: '75.27MB/s'
	     Meters: '11M'
	  2G:
	     Download: '55.59MB/s'
	     Upload: '18.97MB/s'
Repeater:
   Close proximity:
      5G:
	     Download: '199.53MB'
		 Upload: '245.81MB'
	  2G:
	     Download: '64.06MB' # <- might be a little higher but might be a latency increase.
		 Upload: '51.21MB'
    Further proximity other room:
      5G:
         # the expectations are a bit lower, but this is expected since wan uses wireless to.
         Download: '106.56MB/s'
	     Upload: '82.25MB/s'
	  2G:
	     Download: '52.87MB/s'
	     Upload: '34.59MB/s'
1 Like

I received my unit yesterday.
So far, here are my observations:
Like the Slate AX (prior to getting some help from @Leo), I am unable to get it to connect to any PIA server via the iPhone Application. Leo, it is most likely the same issue. Here is my other thread: PIA WireGuard Issue - #9 by RevelRob
Leo told me in a message that it has to do with PIA WireGuard config of FromApp having preshared_key when PIA WireGuard config is not supposed to have preshared_key.
I have a feeling that this is for sure the case because I tried PIA before setting it up with a wg-easy config and it worked.

For now, I have only been able to test Wireguard speeds to my wg-easy server that I host on a different VLAN within my Home LAN.

Download is faster than the 190Mbps advertised and the 146Mbps is slightly slower.
The above speed test was a one off but I have been consistently been getting 195/145 on subsequent tests. I can’t wait to test the speeds with PIA.
Will post more updates as I continue to test.

My GL-A1300 is running Firmware 4.0.0 beta2. LuCI → System → Software → Update lists gives some errors:

The gl_feeds, gl_feeds_common and glinet folders are missing in https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.2/packages/arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4.

The GL.iNet Admin Panel → APPLICATIONS → Update Plug-ins does not give any errors.

I received the slate plus and I really like it, 1. it is smaller than the slateAX which is a plus, 2. also it doesn’t seem to run as hot as the slateAX. It is a very good travel router imo.

I have 3 points though that I find issue with:

1. I wish it had an microsd card slot.
  2. When setting up mullvad it takes a while to fetch the servers, it times out without fetching all of them sometimes.
  3. The phone application gives more options/makes it easier to set up different vpn providers than using the admin web interface which to me shouldn’t be this way. It’s like you are forcing users to use the app/create goodcloud account.

.I will find my nearest cell mask and do some tests with my 5G hotspot to see how it does and report back.

1 Like

I’m sorry the engineers haven’t fixed this problem yet. You can fix it temperately by follow steps:

1. SSH to A1300/AXT1800 and edit file /etc/config/wireguard
  2. Find the PIA config and delete the line that contain preshare_key, then save

Why the glinet app gives more options to make it easier to set up different VPN providers than using the admin panel, that is because firmware development is much harder and slower than mobile app, so mobile app is an alternative for giving more features quickly.

Hi, could you share this command output when connect Oneplus 8T phone.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

I’m believing this issue was with T-Mobile and not the phone or router. I’m now successfully using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connecting with the router.

I stay connected to the phone with no problems but I get frequent issues connecting to websites. In the system log I see this often:

Tue Aug  9 22:46:25 2022 user.info mwan3track[16633]: Check (ping) failed for target "8.8.4.4" on interface wwan (wlan-sta0)
Tue Aug  9 22:48:08 2022 user.info mwan3track[16633]: Check (ping) failed for target "8.8.4.4" on interface wwan (wlan-sta0)
Tue Aug  9 22:49:45 2022 user.info mwan3track[16633]: Check (ping) failed for target "8.8.4.4" on interface wwan (wlan-sta0)
Tue Aug  9 22:50:08 2022 user.info mwan3track[16633]: Check (ping) failed for target "8.8.4.4" on interface wwan (wlan-sta0)

I’m also having an issue connecting to my wireguard server. I see this in the kernel log but it never actually connects:

[ 1144.420476] wireguard: wireguard-hotplug IFNAME=wgclient ACTION=KEYPAIR-CREATED

Quick edit on this…

I looked at my server and I connected to wireguard but the GL-A1300 status never went green (the indicator on the wireguard page was still yellow and I could not connect to any web pages).

This is what my sever showed:

peer: (deleted for the sake of this post)
preshared key: (hidden)
endpoint: 10.128.45.115:31381
allowed ips: 192.168.2.7/32
latest handshake: 1 minute, 24 seconds ago
transfer: 944 B received, 368 B sent

After some use I noticed that memory was increasing, in the end the wan and wireguard stopped working.

This was not happening before but maybe its somehow caused when I did the following steps:

1. First I setup wireguard with mullvad nl2 and nextdns, then I decided to connect through repeater modus which was before wan, I let the cable plugged in the wan port.

2. Then I disconnected repeater mode, but it failed to restore connection with wireguard and nextdns, so I restarted the router.

3. Everything seemed fine, until I started to play a peer to peer online game like gta online via cable, I noticed above 60% memory use, but this probably got more until the device locks.

This was done on beta2.

Anyone experienced this behaviour aswell?

Edit added image:

It seems when I look in htop its increasing at /sbin/procd, restarting does not lower the ram but maybe its ubus?, The increase seem to happen around 20 minutes of playing a multiplayer game like gta online via cable.

My GL-A1300 is running Firmware 4.0.0 beta2. A small cosmetic error is that a USB flash drive shows up as an SD card when the router does not have an SD card reader.