GL-AR150: can powering be done by any PoE power inserter / device?

I’ve ordered the GL-AR150 and I am thinking of ordering this PoE power inserter: http://www.dx.com/p/poe-power-over-ethernet-500ma-power-supply-51068#.Ve7k5X20dLM.
It says it provides 48 Volts with 500 mA.
Since you can power the GL-AR150 with only a 5 volt USB cable I’m wondering whether I do blow up the GL-AR150 with this PoE power inserter or not.
I don’t have any experience with PoE and that’s the reason why I’m asking. Better safe then sorry. :wink:

GL-AR150 has reserved pins to support PoE. However, you have to buy the PoE module separately. As PoE is not common for individuals, we only have several PoE modules testing, no stock for sell.

The PoE power supply should work, with our PoE modules installed. But you need to have the PoE module installed on GL-AR150.

On the product page of the GL-AR150 (http://www.gl-inet.com/ar150/) you do advertise with the PoE support:

PoE Support

PoE supported Interfaces reserved. With a $5 PoE module you can power it via Ethernet.

But from what I understand from you the PoE has to be sold seperately and can’t be bought currently?
That’s not a big problem, only a bit a pity.

Can you also tell me when the GL-AR150 will be send to the customers who bought it? The website says something about september 7th, but at the moment I ordered yesterday the website still has the button “pre-order”. There is no hurry, I’m just wondering.

Also several links on the website seems not working. Some examples: Terms of services, shipping and returns, Domino, GL-Mifi, etc.

We are starting to send out GL-AR150 this week. Most of the orders will be sent next week.

As we are building the website now, the links will work soon.

For the PoE module, we don’t have too much stock. Only have some sample under testing. Hope to sell it soon.

Great to hear that orders will be send out soon!
Will everybody get a trackingnumber for their package or do you send it by a non-trackable bubble enveloppe?

I already thought this is a new website which is partly under construction. As I understand now from you my thoughts were correctly.

PoE module: please keep us informed about this. I have no fear for soldering some parts if it is not to difficult to do so.

It is sent our with a tracking number, always.

We started a small production run of the PoE module and they will be available in 3 weeks. What it takes so long? I have no idea …

Can you explain the PoE slot pins please? Do you have any pics with your PoE module in place?

Attached is a picture of AR150 with PoE module. The module is small and can be fit inside of the plastic case.

Nice :wink:

Can you explain the pins please? Is it possible to feed power over both/each ETH interface?

According to the information here: 404 Page not found - GL.iNet
I think 1 of the left 5 pins is ground of the RJ45 sockets, 2 of the right 5 pins will be the negative of RJ-45 sockets, 2 of the right 5 pins will be the positive of the RJ-45 sockets and the 2 left pins will power the main PCB of the GL-AR150 with 5 volts. I think you can power the GL-AR150 from both RH45 sockets (one at a time). Do I understand that correctly?

I don’t know but what I can see is 6 pins on the left and two on the right. For those two on the right I can imagine they are +5V and GND. But how are those 6 connected to ETH RJ45 I don’t have a clue. I know from the PoE standard that pin 4 and 5 of the RJ45 connector are used for DC+ and 7 and 8 for DC-. So if you solder those four two by two together, you get at most 4 conductors out of two RJ45 connectors. So why 6 pins on the left? That’s what I’m trying to figure out :wink:

My apologies. Indeed it are 6 pins. It didn’t count it correctly on the PCB image:

RJ45 can have a shield at the outside of the RJ45 connector to ground the cable. Maybe the last 2 pins are for the ground or something? But the socket doesn’t have a ground connection because they are made of plastic.

Yes, it could have a shield, but this two RJ45 socket module clearly doesn’t have it. Even tho it is possible, I’d ask myself why two pins? Isn’t one enough :wink:

Pic of PCB’s back side would certainly reveal something if not everything.

I found out pics of the backside of the PCB are now available as the PoE module is now available to buy: 404 Page not found - GL.iNet
Although, I’m still wondering whether both or only one of both RJ45 sockets can be used to power the GL-Ar150 when you have the PoE module installed.

Only one RJ45 can be used to power the device, that is the WAN.

what is the max input in volts for the poe module?

You need a PoE hub. I think it has a standardized voltage. Like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-port-passive-POE-power-injector-for-WiFi-APs-Ubiquiti-Unifi-Mikrotik-etc-/181158858478?hash=item2a2de8ceee:g:4PUAAOSwEK9UBKed

The module is 802.3af, which needs voltage from 37.0–57.0 V.

I bought POE module but it doesn’t work for me because it is not clearly labeled as 802.11af and that it needs 37-57V! This is really bad :frowning:

Most POE devices (Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and TP-LINK) work with much lover voltages, usually 7-32V.

Because most solar systems work with 12V or 24V this makes ideal pair, and you can power Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and TP-LINK devices directly from 12V or 24V solar systems. But you can’t power GLiNet devices…

Please make new module that works with 12V and 24V poe systems, this would make it much more usable and compatible with most POE systems.

Current GLiNet POE modules I bought are totally useless to most people untill they support passive 24V and not 802.11af :frowning:

OK. Understand. We updated the web page stating it is 48V. It also support 48V passive PoE switches. We will check if we can make it work with 24V.

Just in case for someone in help:

For a simple and really cheap solution as the modules support 48V passive POE. You need: one XL6009 (step-up voltage)($1), and one simple POE injector (low as $1.99) for a single port.

So for around $3 (+$5 for the POE module) you can supply the AR150 over POE :smiley: and your 12-24V is not a problem anymore. You just need some soldering.

Regards.