GL-AR150 with Tor-Firmware 1.2 .. just half tor

hi,

i successfully installed (on the second try) the tor firmware 1.2…

but i cannot access any .onion page …

what needs to be done in the router, so all connected devices can really use tor?

Please update to the newest 1.3 firmware. It can access .onion pages.

v1.3 Tor firmware is available for GL.iNet6416, GL-AR150, Domino and GL-AR300.

thanks for the reply

where an i get it?

can’t find it in GL.iNet download center

Then select the second item under the “General” section

Browse firmware directory here: http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware

Choose your router, then tor

Yes, it works. “Onion” sites are accessible now.

flashed it … but still can’t access onion sites

will try next week from another internet connection… maybe this provider is blocking all pages?

Please try again. As I and Butylkin are able to access onion links, it should works!

hi,

just retried in/from another network: no luck :frowning:

• i can access all "normal" internet
  • https://check.torproject.org/ gives me: Congratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.
  • but as soon i try any onion page i get: Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at WHATEVER.onion.
.. i can't imagine i just tried about 50 sites that would be offline .. was trying at the end links from here https://ahmia.fi/stats/viewer

what is going wrong? :frowning:

I just tried 30 links from the page of https://ahmia.fi/stats/viewer

I can connect to 18 .onion sites and another 12 cannot be connected.

I tried Tor browser bundle and get the same result. So the firmware should works fine.

Can you check if you firmware is running V1.3 not V1.2. Check the “system” page when connecting to SSID “OpenWrt”.

Just wondering…

Is it also possible to run tor hidden service (and host a .onion page from the router)

Interesting idea. What is it used for?

hi,

after reading alzhao’s reply yesterday i did some checks on my setup:

• yes, i do have V1.3 installed (see attached picture)
  • i remembered, that i have a proxy configured in my windows notebook
so, i did some random "exploring" (not all possibilities tested)

i used:

• 3 networks (A, B and C) + the GL-AR150 (with tor v1.3 firmware)
  • 2 notebooks (1 and 2)
  • 2 browsers (Firefox/IE and Tor-browser["connect direct to tor"])
  • 2 settings (proxy and no-proxy)
my tests were:

test1: network A - GL-AR150 - notebook 1 (Firefox/IE, with proxy): NO access to onion sites

test2: network B - GL-AR150 - notebook 1 (Firefox/IE, with proxy): NO access to onion sites

test2: network B - GL-AR150 - notebook 1 (Firefox/IE, no proxy): NO access to onion sites

test2: network B - GL-AR150 - notebook 2 (Firefox/IE, no proxy): NO access to onion sites

test2: network B - notebook 1 (Tor-browser, no proxy): YES access to onion sites

test2: network C - GL-AR150 - notebook 1 (Firefox/IE, with proxy): NO access to onion sites

test2: network C - GL-AR150 - notebook 1 (Firefox/IE, no proxy): NO access to onion sites

… any ideas? :frowning:

…what frietpan means is that you can host your own .onion site on the router (the router hosts the site on the router OR forwards it to a server within GL-AR150-network)

what do you mean Networks A, B and C?

hi

by network A, B and C i mean:

• network A: i plugged the GL-AR150 in the internet-router at my girfriends place
  • network B: i plugged the GL-AR150 in the internet-router at home
  • network C: i plugged the GL-AR150 on a external internet cable at my company

are you using the same router in the three networks or 3 different routers?

the same GL-AR150 with tor firmware 1.3

My configuration: no proxy - computer to router via Wi-Fi - router to provider via cable. External IP address (if it is important), so no NAT. Thus, it is similar to your last configuration. Onion sites are accessible without efforts. So far I made only three additions to the Tor Firmware 1.3 - file sharing (Samba), torrent client (Transmission) and port forwarding (MiniUPnPd). I do not think, that such additions could affect TOR network.

So, it sounds to me, that the difference is the NAT…

but again: through the same traffic routing device (causing the NAT) the TOR-Browser works without a problem.

Do you behind the NAT at all three cases (A, B and C, I mean)? And also: why do you use additional router at cases A and B? Oh, no, pardon, B only! Certainly, the girlfriend can arrange her internet connections as she wants.

to A: as you said, my girlfriends internet… and in general: my idea/requirement is, that i can take the GL-AR150on travels and plug it in everywhere to be protected and surf the .onion sites… also meaning: in 99% of all cases the WAN port of the GL-AR150would be connected in a NAT… right?

to B: Because i have symmetrical 1Gbps fiber internet… i want to use all the speed; the GL-AR150 would probably just explode :slight_smile:

to C: i am not sure what it is, because it’s my company’s external network (might be a NAT as well at the end)