GL-AR300M not recognising Huawei E3372 USB Modem

Nothing you can tell me how to fix it? I invested so much time already…
I think the main problem is that the Modem does not connect to the internet. The Modem LED keeps flashing every 3 seconds.
When i plug in the modem to my computer it connects within 5 seconds. But on the GL it just keeps flashing the modem LED every 3 seconds. Can the Vodafone software on the modem be the problem?
Anything i can do or try?

Do i have to buy LTE modems one by one until finally one works?? That’s not why i bought the GL :frowning:

This is the Kernel log when i reconnect the modem:

[ 329.228500] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 329.233704] cdc_ether 1-1:1.0 eth1: unregister ‘cdc_ether’ usb-101c0000.ehci-1, CDC Ethernet Device
[ 342.247322] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
[ 342.439708] usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 342.457813] scsi host3: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
[ 342.857550] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 5
[ 343.577324] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-platform
[ 343.914722] cdc_ether 1-1:1.0 eth1: register ‘cdc_ether’ at usb-101c0000.ehci-1, CDC Ethernet Device, 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64
[ 343.957783] usb-storage 1-1:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 343.977570] scsi host4: usb-storage 1-1:1.2
[ 344.983414] scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access HUAWEI TF CARD Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 344.999109] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

1 Like

I am not sure what is the real problem you are facing.

Why you want to disable modem mode? E3372 just present itself as a ttyUSB device and you can just leave that unattended. It will NOT connect and it will not bother you.

It works in Tethering mode now and that is how it works.

You wrote:

The USB dongle is working in TETHERing mode and it will not work in Modem mode at the same time.

That’s why i thought i need to disable the Modem mode. I never had a connection with a Modem working. So i was just not sure how it should be/look like…

So the problem i am facing is more clear to me now: The E3372 won’t connect to a 4G or 3G network. The LED on the E3372 keeps flashing.
When i connect the E3372 on a Windows machine. It connects within 5 seconds.

The picture you posted show that it connect in Tethering mode and get 192.168.9.100.

Doesn’t it?

But that info under tethering means maybe something else.
I will make a quick video to show you the situation. Wait…

Maybe this video will give more info:

The Vodafone web page opened suddenly by itself.
The GL was connected to a power supply and not to the computer.

Yes.
You Huawei E3372 is connected to GL router
Huawei Ee3372 is working and its IP 192.168.9.1
It is correct that 192.168.9.1 pop up because you need to click that “connect” button in order to use the Internet.

After you connect E3372 to Carrier, then everything is good.

I didn’t see anything wrong. Just omit the modem info as Huawei E3372 presented itself as modem and tethering devices. But it actually work in tethering.

It just doesn’t help when i click on the Connect button. Nothing is happening when i click on it.
Hmm :frowning:

Okay. Now the problem is that when you click connect , the e3372 does not connect.

The router connects to the modem without problem. But the modem will not connect to carrier.

This is a new problem. Now sure if it relates to the router. Do you have vpn etc enabled in the router ?

Here are some people discussing this. Some of them change back to non hilink mode.

No VPN. To make it work i kept the router as “clean” as possible after every fresh reset.
I just looked into that link you mentioned… That’s over my head. I can’t really understand what they are doing even-though i do a bit of Linux :frowning:

So before i spend a week of frustration. I am gonna buy another modem.

Suggestion which model works 100% ?
(Since i am in Sumatra for the next months it must be available here: tokopedia.com)

Thank you for your time though and patience with my lack of knowledge.

Me too.
Any solution.

Greets Byte

I have just had the same problem with the Huawei E3372h-320. But, I think we have a solution! Well, it’s been up for 5 minutes, so we will see.

Here’s what I did:

1. Configure the AR300M to use a different subnet (I went for 192.168.69.1/24. Don’t judge)
  2. Log in via LuCI (More Settings > Advanced)
  3. Go to Network > Interfaces then click the TETHERING tab
  4. Go to Advanced Settings
  5. Ensure “Force Link” is checked
  6. Save & Apply

Let everything come back up, and you should see eth1 set up as a tethered connection via the USB modem.

I think the incompatibility might be related to the hotplug logic.

Hope this helps someone (and hope it stays nice and solid - my job depends on it!)

Tom.

1 Like

Hello . fixed

I was able to connect the dongle e3272s to the router. Education :smiley:

opkg update
opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-net-cdc-mbim umbim

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-wwan

opkg update
opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi

Reboot
Important. Change IP

change ip:

Reboot

:blush:

1 Like

Well done! I might try later.

1. You meant to write E3272s, right? Asking as the thread started as as E3372
  2. Also, it is in stick mode right, the “s” suffix is correct? My E3372h was converted to stick mode.
  3. What is the significance of changing the IP? ( don’t use the default anyway).

Thanks!

k.