GL-AR300M18 appears to be bricked

Hi all, new here…

I obtained a working GL-AR300M18 router, and attempted to flash it with a third-party build.

The flashing appeared to complete successfully, but when I attempted to use the router in its new configuration, I discovered that…

1. It doesn’t appear to have a working WiFi SSID
  2. It doesn’t appear to have working IP Addresses on its LAN and WAN ports. (I scanned all address ranges using Slitheris - and it took ages !).
  3. It powers-on with the green power indicator on steady. A couple of seconds later the red LED flashes twice, quickly followed by the centre green LED flashing once. It then sits there with just the power LED on.

It does this with the switch in either position.

If I power it on with the button held in…

1. It powers on, power light showing.
  2. 3 seconds later, the red LED slowly blinks 5 times, followed by both green LEDs on steady. Releasing the button now changes nothing.

Because it is exhibiting some behaviour, I don’t think the module is a total brick, but I can’t do anything with it.

I’ve tried to do the published factory reset, but it doesn’t appear to do anything. I think it might be possible that the third-party configuration deliberately bombs this feature…

Any help or advice would be appreciated - TIA

I am assuming this is a GL-AR300M16. What firmware did you use, and did you load it with U-Boot?

You may want to just reload it with GL iNet Firmware 3.216 using the U-Boot procedure, and see it you can get it back working.

Take a look at: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Router Docs 3

Thanks for the link Eric, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

I’m thinking that the start-up with the button pressed somehow enables the major serial port, because I’ve noticed that it will continue to provide power to the router when you get the two green LEDs, which that port doesn’t provide power initially …

For commercial and personal reasons I can’t reveal the source of the firmware I attempted to use, as I’m certain they will have protection/copyright on it. Suffice to say they will supply these routers configured with their build, at an astronomical price.

I just want to get it back to square one if I can, and not have a useless brick hanging around …

The device isn’t showing in device manager, even when both green LEDs are on …

Is it only UBoot that can see it ?