GL-AR750S Out of memory

Hi, I’m having an issue with my slate router running out of memory. This seems to be happening on a regular basis and the only solution is to hardware power cycle the device. Can you please advise how I can troubleshoot this further to find out what’s causing the problem. I haven’t loaded any additional packages (GL-DDNS is running). there is nothing very exciting ocurring in syslog prior to the out of memory error. I recently updated the firmware to 3.1 but the problem remains.

Jan 27 06:03:07 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3300]: /usr/bin/gl_monitor: line 737: can’t fork: Out of memory
Jan 27 06:04:43 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[28557]: /usr/bin/gl_monitor: line 737: can’t fork: Out of memory
Jan 27 06:04:48 GL-AR750S netifd: VLAN ‘eth0.2’ link is down
Jan 27 06:04:48 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan’ has link connectivity loss
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S odhcp6c[2641]: Failed to send RS (Address not available)
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan6’ has link connectivity loss
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: VLAN ‘eth0.2’ link is up
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan’ has link connectivity
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan’ is setting up now
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan6’ has link connectivity
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S netifd: Interface ‘wan6’ is setting up now
Jan 27 06:04:49 GL-AR750S odhcp6c[2641]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Address not available)
Jan 27 06:04:53 GL-AR750S netifd: wan (31965): Error loading shared library libgcc_s.so.1: Out of memory (needed by /usr/bin/jshn)
Jan 27 06:04:53 GL-AR750S netifd: wan (31965): Error loading shared library libgcc_s.so.1: Out of memory (needed by /lib/libblobmsg_json.so)
Jan 27 06:04:53 GL-AR750S netifd: wan (31965): Error loading shared library libgcc_s.so.1: Out of memory (needed by /usr/lib/libjson-c.so.2)
Jan 27 06:04:53 GL-AR750S netifd: wan (31965): Error loading shared library libgcc_s.so.1: Out of memory (needed by /lib/libubox.so)

are you sure you haven’t installed any packages. maybe gcc compiler?

also do you save settings on upgrade? if so then factory default and start fresh.

I did save settings on upgrade.

I will factory default now and start fresh and see how that goes. thanks for responding. Definitely haven’t installed gcc compiler.

My theory is that it was something to do with DNS rebinding. I setup pi-hole on a vm last week and was using that for DNS for the network, and was getting very many dns rebinding errors in the log. I was still getting the error messages even though I turned off DNS Rebinding Attack Protection.

prior to that I had no issues.

This is my production network (home) so wasn’t doing anything ‘strange’ to the router.

John

How often does this happen?

Can you get the memory usage before the router crash?

use “top” to get the memory usage.

It’s happened 3 times in the past week. I’m unable to login via the web or ssh when this error has occured. The unit needs a power cycle before being usable again.

john

Can you get the log after it runs for 1 day?

I only factory defaulted and re-entered all the settings yesterday afternoon, so I will give it 24 hours before giving you the syslog. Also I haven’t re-enabled the custom DNS server setting yet, I planned to do that after 48 hours (if it stayed up, which I expect it to do so)
john

just an update: so far no issues since the factory reset, all working well

1 Like

I’m having this same issue. Same router and keep getting out of memory which is killing processes and then I have to power cycle. I can ssh into the router and here’s the processes that have been killed:

api
lighttp
wpa_supplicant
gltertf
hostapd
usbmuxd
udhcpc
ubus

I’ve done the factory reset and it will fix the issue for a little while, over time it comes back. It’s now happening very often, multiple times a day. I just did a factory reset to try and get it working again. I have a second one of these that’s always running at home (one at home, one on the road, wireguard between) and it never has this issue.

Any idea what’s going on?

You can give more details e.g. what kind of config did you do on the router. Otherwise it is difficult to tell, based on a 2 year old thread.