GL-AR750S +power banks. User experience

Hello . Please tell me where can I see the statistics of using power bank and GL-AR750S ? How much charge is enough if I use 20,000mAh for example? The photo is just an example
a750

p

Can you be more specific about the statistics that you are interested in? The power consumption will vary somewhat according to the load on the router (e.g., OpenVPN processing).

What do you mean by “how much charge is enough” because any the power bank should have 5V output until it is nearly drained.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

@wcs2228 Hello . My question was related to usage statistics of two devices. If I connect MUDI to power banks how long will MUDI run? I am interested in general information.

It also depends on how you use the mudi router:

I attached an anker power bank to my Mudi this last weekend, and it ran on it all day long on just the power pack while at my son’s baseball tournament.

@67firebird455 @silkweb Thank you very much for your replies. But I would like to know about the GL-AR750S statistics)) I indicated this in the topic. But I am also grateful to you for the data that you indicated.

I happen to own both the GL-AR750S router and IMUTO PD power bank in your photos. The IMUTO is rated 10,000mAH x 3.7V = 37WH because lithium battery is actually 3.7V and is stepped up to 5V, 9V, 12V or 15V for power delivery. The GL-AR750S uses only 5V.

With the router running as a Repeater at idle for 3 hours, the display on the power bank dropped from 100% down to 91%, which is 3% per hour. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the display and the power consumption would be higher if there was constant traffic or other processing activities.

More accuracy power measurements would required a USB power meter with passthrough.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Actually I don’t see much point in power banks for GL-AR750S Since it seems to me that this device was designed for constant voltage (for home, office, etc.) But if we take a situation where there is no socket, for example, the desert)) then the tt option will be suitable. I mean the script POWER BANKS±AR750S+USB MODEM.

I use a power bank with my Slate at the pool or beach of hotels and resorts when traveling. The router is repeater on the guest wifi and runs the Wireguard client to provide privacy and geoblock bypass for my family’s iPads.

2 Likes

I doubt that a USB modem would consume much more power. My smartphone has a 4800mAH battery and it lasts >1 day, even running various apps and lighting the touchscreen display.

1 Like

thanks for your answers and your experience with power banks

hi, i am not an expert but i have a simple way to figure that out…
— my killawatt meter - will show how many amps/volts/watts currently in use and total Watt-hours used over time.
— my wemo smart plug - tracks power usage over time.
— my jackery 160 portable lithium-ion battery - which display the watts used by a device.

to keep the calculations simple, i always convert values to Watt-hours
so your powerbank is 20,000mAh at 5V is 100Wh
=20000*5/1000

and this is the formula to calculate total amount of time a device will last on a power bank.
“working time = powerbank Watt-Hours * 0.85 / operating power of your device”

your powerbank has 100Wh
my AR750S-EXT uses 2W

so the working time is 42.50 hours
=100*0.85/2

1 Like

@asdffdsa1122 Hello . Thank you very much for your kind reply. I’m sure who will look for information about power banks will find your useful calculations.

The mAh rating of power banks are actually of the lithium battery inside at the 3.7V rating of the lithium-ion Li-Ion or lithium polymer LiPo battery. The rating is not of the output at 5V, which is stepped up. In addition, power banks are not 100% efficient, so some energy is always lost.

What is the real output capacity of a Power bank?.

I happen to own the IMUTO 10,000mAh power bank in the photo which shows Capacity: 10000mAh/37Wh (i.e., at 3.7V) on the back:

I have another ADATA 10,000mAH power bank which shows Battery Capacity: 10,000mAh(36Wh) (i.e., at 3.6V) on the back. This power bank also shows Rated Capacity: 6,300mAh(31.5Wh) (i.e., at 5V) that indicates an efficiency of 31.5/36 = 87.5%.

For a 20,000mAH power bank, it is reasonable to double the above.

EDIT:
Corrected efficiency calculation 31.5/36 = 87.5% instead of 31.5/26 = 87.5%.

1 Like

hey, small world, as i have that same website open now!

am i confused or perhaps that should be
31.5/36 = 87.5%

Oops … typo.

It should have been 31.5/36 = 87.5% efficency because the power bank output capacity is 31.5Wh and the battery charge capacity is 36Wh. The link indicates that 85% efficiency is reasonable to use.

1 Like