Good morning all and happy new year!
I purchased a Slate this week, to extend my home wifi signal to the back garden, so I can connect my ASI Air Pro (AAP) to my home network, when using my telescope and mount for astrophotography outside. The AAP is a small raspberry pi computer, that provides connectivity to ASI software on an iPad or similar, that allows a user to operate the astro mount remotely, use astro cameras etc etc. I was hoping to operate the mount from inside my house, rather than be outside in the freezing cold!
I have followed the instructions as best I can, but frankly, I must be doing something wrong and was hoping the community could help me out and let me know how to correct my mistakes?
- I connect to the Slate via wifi and then to the web admin panel. No issues with this.
- Internet: I connect the Slate to my home wifi, via the Repeater section. No issues with this
- Wireless: I do nothing on this page…should I?
- Clients: the AAP is listed as a client…is there anything else I should be doing?
- Upgrade, Firewall, VPN, Applications…I do nothing on these pages…should I?
- More Settings - Network Mode: I select Extender mode to my home wifi and Apply. I lose Admin Panel access at this point in time, which I believe is to be expected…is there anything I should have done differently here?
- I connect the Slate to my AAP, via an Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the Slate to ethernet in port on the AAP.
- I open the AAP app on my iPad, having selected my home wifi network and connect to the AAP via my home wifi. I then take the whole astro rig outside, with the AAP and Slate connected as per 7)…am I doing something wrong here? On my iPad I could potentially connect to three different networks - home wifi (which I’m hoping has been extended), the AAP hotspot or the AR750s hotspot…which should I be connecting to?
- My iPad loses wifi halfway from the house, which clearly indicates that the Extender/AR750s is either not working as I expected or I have done something wrong…am I connected to the Extender do you think?
Sorry for the above long description, but hopefully it will help identify where I am going wrong. Happy to answer any clarifying questions.
Many thanks in advance