GL-MT3000 Beryl AX - No Country Code Option in Luci?

Got a (very fast) reply from GLiNet support email.

“Please do not use Luci to modify wifi settings because MT3000 use proprietary wifi driver and luci is not fully compatible”

k.

1 Like

Is there a fix for this SERIOUS issue?

MT3000 doesn’t see any 5G channel above 64, and there seams to be no way to fix it…
Kind of useless as it is!
Please get a fix asap!
Thank you!

What country is it in?
DFS channels could be blocked.

You should post this as a new tech support issue and not add it to a post about country codes

Well, it’s actually about country codes:

• GL-MT3000 by default is set to “00” (US), at least that’s what Luci shows
  • no way to change it, or is there?

Channels allowed in the country I am now:
2G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
5G: 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140 149 153 157 161 165

Can’t connect to any wifi that uses: 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140 149 153 157 161 165

Whats the firmware?
Do you have use DFS channels enabled under repeater settings?

There is a way to change the country code, GLiNet has advised not too because the driver is proprietary and will cause issues.

See this post Slate Plus Title Bar - #3 by michaelsage and the thread.

You can actually change the country code in etc/config/wireless.
What happens is the frequencies will change, but it will still show “US” in the top corner.

HTH.

In my view, for the ordinary user who wants to use this Travel Router and change the frequencies on the fly, GLiNET absolutely need to make this change of country much easier, preferably in the GLiNET App (and in the WebAdmin); no user should have to delve into the etc/config/wireless file to change this, so as to comply with a specific country’s frequency limitations (or benefit from that country’s wider frequency range).

k

Pls do not use luci for MT3000 as Luci is not compatible.

For repeater, pls give details e.g.
how do you know it does not connect? Using luci (this does not work) or the original UI.
Enabled DFS?
system logs ?

On latest greatest nighty snapshot.

DFS enabled.

Using Wifi Explorer on a Mac , all APs on channels above 64 are not listed in router admin, under “Available Networks” in the “Join Wi-Fi” panel after clicking “Switch Network”

Re: “There is a way to change the country code”
Would be interested in how and what are the pitfalls.

Thank you!

For how, please read through my post in the link I provided above; the method is explained there.

Regarding pitfalls I can’t see any if it is done correctly; others with more knowledge than me might have some opinions. My only bugbear is that it can’t be easily done on the fly via the App.

k

Changing country in /etc/config/wireless DOES NOT WORK on the MT3000 (nor does changing macaddress…).

Did you restart services or the router after you changed it?

Yes of course…

Do you have a MT3000 and are you able to see and connect to 5G using channels above 64?
If yes, maybe I should try the same firmware as you and do the same config changes, do you mind sharing?

Thank you!

Btw, there is no iw on the MT3000.

I do have the MT3000 running on a snapshot from a weak ago It has connected to a xfinity Wireless on Channel 161 40Mhz. It did not want to connect 80Mhz wpa2-psk/wpa-sae(default for MT3000 is wpa2-psk)

BTW it seem to be working just fine

Which country is it set to from factory?
Did you change country in /etc/config/wireless?

So on your side, MT3000 does see APs above channel 64 but doesn’t connect if they are set to 80MHz ?

Looks like I’ll have to do some more testing on the weekend.

Thank you!

In latest snapshot, in Luci admin, in Network menu there is now “MTk WiFi”, nice addition, is it doing anything more than set country codes in /etc/config/wireless?

Which country should I choose to see channels 12-13 on 2G, did try a couple countries that should have 1-13 but not seeing any APs on 12-13.

Thank you!

1 Like

Change to JP (Japan) or DE (Germany)

1 Like

Updated AXT1800 to today’s snapshot, set up 2G AP to channel 13.
Updated MT3000 to today’s snapshot, in GL-iNet Admin Panel, join wifi doesn’t see it, Luci Channel Analysis displays only 1-11 on its chart.
Btw, 2G JP should have 1-14 channels IIRC.

I tested channel 13 when setting to JP is OK.

1 Like