GL-MT300A vs GL-MT300N-V2 OpenVPN performance

Thank you for the prompt, response.

I truly wish you’d be right, but here it is… from the moment I use GL.iNet either as a Server or as a Client, my bandwidth drops to ~10Mbps.
Based on my troubleshooting, I know that:

• It isn’t related to a hardware fault from the cable since without VPN the connection get to 45Mbps
  • It isn’t related to a hardware issue on the GLiNet since I used two different GL.iNet products
  • It isn’t related to a software glitch or misconfiguration, since I set it up on two different products using two different server.ovpn & client.ovpn + tried again after performing a factory reset.
  • It isn’t related to OVPN client, since I tried two different clients (Windows Laptop or iOS iPhone) and get 45Mbps when connecting to AWS Ubuntu ovpn server
  • It isn’t related to the ovpn server, since I get to 45Mbps when setting it up on AWS Ubuntu.

The issue can only be reproduced when putting GL.iNet into the mix… whether as a server and/or as a client.

Might be worth adding, I’m a network and system admin, so not a complete novice.
I might be overlooking something but I can’t figure out what…
I’ve even tried tweaking the server.ovpn file on the GL.iNet after connection over SSH, and editing the config file using vim with various settings (ciphers, etc…)… No success.
$ vim /etc/openvpn/ovpn/server.ovpn
$ /etc/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/ovpn/server.ovpn --daemon --writepid /var/run/ovpn_server.pid

Something is wrong with the implementation I believe…
My GL.iNet firmware is 3.216, and the Network Mode is Router.
WiFi is enabled and waiting for connection from clients
Internet is provided from a Modem Router (LAN) cabled to the GL.iNet WAN port (RJ45 / Cat 5E)

But you are using MT300N-V2 and SFT1200, both has very limited OpenVPN speed, as server or client.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and for confirming the hardware specs are just insufficient…
I’ve switched to WireGuard which is a lot more satisfactory, since I’m now hitting 37.8Mbps.

1 Like