GL-MV1000 gets very hot

Brume GL-MV1000 is apparently a powerful and stable router, at least among GL-Inet routers. It’s got Marvel CPU dual Cortex-A53 and 1GB RAM. This is good among routers. It’s an edge router that is supposed to face internet, supporting a LAN.

However, even not connected to internet, this thing gets REALLY hot. Sounds like it’s going to burn, and designed for occasional use. It seems cooling is not well thought.

My question is, is this normal for this or all routers (or perhaps those with powerful CPUs)? I can’t imagine how hot weaker routers would be.

Is there a problem using it at such temperatures? Or it should be used sporadically?

How to cool it off passively?

1 Like

The router has been under heat testing, aging etc. So it should be totally fine, unless it melt the cases etc.

But always provide good cooling to the device.

I think the heat is too much, that’s why I have a 14cm fan under it and the temperature is down from 7x to 41 celsius. :grinning:

2 Likes

This is a cool set up. What kind of fan is it?

Do you keep the router on all the time? I noticed even if no data goes through, it’s still hot.

Also, alzhao kind of said above that don’t worry about heat, as long as it’s not melted down. So I guess, if it’s heat tested, and the heat does not harm the device, who cares? The fan takes more power.

Or perhaps heat lowers life expectancy?

Otherwise Brume seems a very good device. I get good VPN speeds with that, and happy of its vpn performance.

1 Like

Which of the these cases takes more power:

• Connect the router to WiFi and connect the laptop to router tvia USB3.

• Connect the router to Ethernet and connect laptop to router by Ethernet or wireless

TL;DR: I can’t stand high heat network devices :grin:

It’s a standard PC case 14cm X 14cm fan.(low rotation speed but high flow capacity) to blow the heat from the buttom of the router.

Yes, my MV1000(W) is always on and hot, no matter what the loading is, that’s why I need to find a way to cool it down.

MV1000(W) should be tested in high heat environment before it’s out of factory, but cooler temperature will keep it work better and prolong the life of electronic components inside I guess.

1 Like

What is your room temperature?

2x ~ 3x Celsius according to seasons here in Taipei, Taiwan.

By the way, how do you use WiFi on Brume? Which mode?

I connect the USB-C power port on router to USB3 on laptop, use that wired connection to load the web GUI and connect the router to house WiFi AP with strong signal. This is repeater mode. It connects and works for 5 minutes and then drops the signal.

I am not sure if WiFi is functional in this model.

Is it because USB3 cannot sufficiently power up the router?

If I use the power supply provided by GL-Inet, I connect to Brume wirelessly, load Web GUI and connect to WiFi AP. It does not connect. Maybe it’s because the same WiFi chip in the router cannot connect to an access point and at the same time serve as an access point for other devices?

When I opened mine there was a huge heatsink block inside. According to the tech specs the maximum junction temperature for this chip is 115° C (239f) with maximum case temperature at 125° C(257f).

I run mine with a ton of services and have not noticed a problem, but sadly there is no way to test the sensors temp as there does not seem to be any in the terminal.

1 Like

Actually, MV1000(W) has temperature sensors built inside, just install “lm-sensors” package and simply enter command “sensors” to get the current temperature output.

4 Likes

Hello to you,

I also bought the MV1000W online.
The MV1000 board provides some nice features such as a I2C, serial and GPIO interface.
A few projects, which previously ran on a Raspberry, can be implemented with this single board computer.

Pre-installed is a VPN client and server, which supports the OpenVPN and Wireguart protocol.
The performance is as specified by GL-iNet. As far as hardware and software are concerned, GL-iNet is quite transparent and has always been open to user problems and suggestions for improvement.

The team from Hong Kong and Shenzhen, PR China, ak GL-iNet, have brought something interesting to the market with the MV1000.GL-iNet tries to make it easy for the user with his own web frontend.

Unfortunately, the official firmware release lacks support for IPv6 protocol. Due to a DNS leak via VPN, it was deactivated in August 2020.
With Preservation you can re-enable IPv6 with the Beta or Nightly firmware for some features.

However, the housing is a medium disaster in terms of design, thermal and optical terms.
If you install additional packages, which generate additional running processes and CPU load, the heat loss which is generated in these small enclosures will no longer be able to go anywhere.
One or the other has already built a 14cm fan underneath, which makes A: impractical and B: even more noise.

Now I have drilled the small edge router for 24/7 use.
To transport the heat loss to the outside, I had to open the underside of the housing with a Dremel.
A large cooling pad fits between the backplate and an aluminum sheet.
The passive cooling pre-installed by GL-iNet has been modified a bit by me. Existing heat conduction pads were replaced by a little larger ones.
Thus, under load the AMR CPU reaches max 39C’ at a room temperature of approx 26C’.

Perhaps this is also a solution for one or the other.

Best regards from Germany.

3 Likes

Buy Brume W, have some question for Gl-iNet developers. Device without additionals packages. A room temperature of approx 27°C, hardware temterature without fan 71°C, it is normal?

root@GL-MV1000W:~# sensors
socinternalregsd0000000mdio32004switch01mdio13-mdio-d
Adapter: MDIO adapter
temp1: +71.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
socinternalregsd0000000mdio32004switch01mdio11-mdio-b
socinternalregsd0000000mdio32004switch01mdio12-mdio-c

Yes it is normal. If it works then ok.

This mine cooling solution: