GL-SF1200 stops to work properly overwifi when high speed pppoe link is established

Hi, I have tested today a new GL-SF1200 recently bought on Amazon. I am planning to use it with a sfp module and a media converter to access the fiber network of Vodafone Italy (1Gbps downstram, 200 Mbps upstream). The WAN of the router is used with pppoe protocol.

I was able to run the same setup on a Mango Router MT300N-v2. It works properly showing close to 100Mbps upstream and downstream due to the limitations of its ethernet ports speed.

I did the following settings on the GL-SF1200 in the /etc/config/network (same setting as the one of the Mango).

config interface ‘wan’
option ipv6 ‘0’
option proto ‘pppoe’
option username ‘vodafoneadsl’
option ifname ‘eth0.1036’
option password ‘vodafoneadsl’
option metric ‘10’

config switch_vlan
option device ‘switch0’
option ports ‘0t 5t’
option vlan ‘1036’

I basically need a VLAN ID 1036 to access the provider tagged packets.

The interface eth0.1036 starts properly and I can test a decent speed test when connecting the PC to the LAN of the GL-SF1200 (960Mbps downstram, 190 Mbps upstream).

Unfortunately I have experienced a strange thing when I have connected the PC via wifi.

Both the wifi links (2.4 and 5GHz) seem very slow and cannot navigate to any site. Ping and traceroute works but very slowly. It seems that the pppoe protocol heavily degrade the capability of the router SoC chpset to route the traffic via wifi.

I tried to switch-off the 5GHz network working only with the 2.4GHz radio, but it does not make much difference.

Is this a known issue? Is there any potential workaround?

pls try execute on ssh

uci set firewall.@defaults[0].flow_offloading='0'
uci set firewall.@defaults[0].flow_offloading_hw='0'
uci commit  firewall
/etc/init.d/firewall restart

Thanks for the hint.

In the meantime I have probably found what was letting the wifi radio to missbehave.

I have completed manually those lines to the /etc/config/network file to complete the VLAN_ID eth0.1036 configuration:

config switch_vlan
option device ‘switch0’
option ports ‘0t 5t’
option vlan ‘1036’

config switch_port
option device ‘switch0’
option port ‘5’
option pvid ‘1036’

The first part “config switch_vlan” was generated by Luci when I have generated the VLAN switch.

The “config switch_port” part was missing as it was not generated by Luci. I have found some examples of switch vlan settings on forums related to the old LEDE OpenWRT version that the GL_SF1200 is still using. I have just copied those lines in my configuration entering the parameters option port ‘5’ and option pvid ‘1036’ accordingly.

I have omitted the “config switch_port” settings in the Mango Router configuration. I assume Mango is using a slightly more recent version of OpenWRT that can manage the switch configuration properly with less settings.

After having restarted the network the wifi started to behave normally with hundreds of Mbps of speed.

I don’t know why the partial configuration of the VLAN switch influenced the wifi speed, but in any case all is working now!

Another strange behavior is the presence of those messages in dmesg and logread, that can be wifi related:

Fri May 5 07:00:47 2023 kern.warn kernel: [ 75.323128] [SIWIFI] got unsupport cmd 0x8947 ifname wlan0
Fri May 5 07:00:50 2023 kern.warn kernel: [ 78.324909] [SIWIFI] got unsupport cmd 0x8947 ifname wlan0
Fri May 5 07:00:53 2023 kern.warn kernel: [ 81.327785] [SIWIFI] got unsupport cmd 0x8947 ifname wlan0
Fri May 5 07:00:56 2023 kern.warn kernel: [ 84.328489] [SIWIFI] got unsupport cmd 0x8947 ifname wlan0
Fri May 5 07:00:59 2023 kern.warn kernel: [ 87.329162] [SIWIFI] got unsupport cmd 0x8947 ifname wlan0

Those errors are flagged by the kernel every approx. 3 seconds.