GL-X3000 Spritz AX - WAN interface going up and down constantly

My apologies for missing that. I assumed it would be a different version number.

I have installed it and it is working ok. I will report back later tomorrow after giving it more time to run. Thank you.

Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

Ttl doesnt update HL for IPV6. Can you guys fix that?

One of my contacts used a custom firewall rule and said it worked. He said when ipv6 enabled no rule is added for hl

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_mhi0 ! -p icmp -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_mhi0 ! -p icmpv6 -m hl ! --hl-eq 255 -j HL --hl-set 64

1 Like

And tmobile wifi calling doesnt work.

1 Like

Thanks for testing this!!!

Hi Dominion7574:

Currently, ipv6 hl is not supported. This feature will be updated in future versions as soon as possible.

Thanks!

1 Like

@lizh

Update - I have been using the new 4.3.3 build extensively with no issues. This seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for your feedback.

Just gonna put this here for some HL testing thst was done incase you guys need it when you do the firmware

Canā€™t believe this didnā€™t occur to me soonerā€¦

Problem: If you modify IPv6 HL (typically 64 or 65), client devices will lose their public IPv6 address because ICMPv6 uses HL 255 for neighbor discovery, router solicitation, etc. Credit to Parker Stephens for figuring this out when I brought this up about a year ago while setting up a Netgear MR5200.

Solution 1: You can use a custom rule that leaves ICMPv6 packets alone. Parker came up with these excellent rules which Iā€™ve adapted for the GL-X3000 on T-Mobile:

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_mhi0 ! -p icmp -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_mhi0 ! -p icmpv6 -m hl ! --hl-eq 255 -j HL --hl-set 64

Solution 2: For T-Mobile, simply set HL to 255 for all traffic. This is what Iā€™ve done on the Cudy P5 and so far its been solid. T-Mobile only flags traffic as hotspot if the TTL/HL falls below 64, so going up to 255 isnā€™t an issue. All devices are receiving IPv6 addresses and thereā€™s no hotspot data usage.

@Dominion7574 Thank you for this post. I have a couple of layman questions I hope you will answer.

1. Sometimes on my X3000 I am getting a WAN IP that looks like a typical public IPV4 address I am used to seeing like 28.120.225.40 for example. And other times I get 192.0.0.2? I usually the 192.0.0.2 after a reboot and the ā€œwanā€ address on power up. The 192.0.0.2 is CGNAT from T-Mobile yes?
  2. I am confused by the IPV6 addresses. Are you running IPV6 on your private LAN? Or are you getting IPV6 from T-Mobile.
  3. The TTL trick is really to make a carrier think you are using data (unlimited as part of a plan for example) and not hotspot use (typically limited and throttled). These really do not have any advantage on a dedicated hotspot plan, do I have this correct?

Sorry for the layman questions. I appreciate any help you can provide as I am trying to learn all I can. Thank you.

1. I think your correct as why this happens.
  2. Yes ipv6 on local and get it from tmobile.
  3. Correct.
1 Like

New firmware looking good so far with me :+1:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback on IPV6 information.

I will test it as soon as possible.

@T480s are you encountering this issue? It seems like every day or two I get this error "The interface is connected, but the Internet canā€™t be accessed. " and the device wonā€™t work till I force a reboot.

Even disconnecting the data and trying to reconnect doesnā€™t work. ( Different bands too )

Only reboot fixes it

No - for the most part I have had a very stable experience. I did loose cell connection once and had ā€œautoā€ configure it make a connection again. A reboot would did not fix that.

I have used the Spitz quite a bit over that last week. This includes many different locations and powering it up/down 3-5 per day. Performance has been good for me.

@zombiezach8 @T480s

Are you saying that there is a issue that the Internet will be disconnected, and the restart will not be restored?

Thanks!

No - it is working well. It failed one time connecting to the cellular network upon power up. I simply had to use the ā€œauto setupā€ button on the Internet tab.

I have been the GL-X3000 in different locations in my area over the past several weeks with no issues, including it being powered up/down 3-5 times per day. Meaning, it has had multiple opportunities to fail but did not - specific to cellular connection.

Since the firmware update it has been rock solid and performed well.

Yeah, I discovered I had to do that 'cause traceroute stopped working.