GlobalProtect with Beryl AX / Wireguard / StarVPN

Hello all,

I have been recently required by my company (who I do not want to know that I am outside US) to use a new web app that requires their corporate VPN installed on my work laptop to access. It is GlobalProtect (from PaloAltoNetworks) and I have a BerylAX setup with Wireguard config using StarVPN Static Residential IP to make it look like I am in NYC.

I kind of just assumed that I would be able to use this ā€˜nestedā€™ VPN setup because of my hardware setup, but I am wrong. I can successfully connect to GlobalProtect, and my connection says it is stable, but I cannot load any webpage. I enter a website and it just loads forever, never times out. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hey :wave:

please follow this thread to provide all the necessary data for troubleshooting.

Allow me to offer a personal opinion: your employer has ways and means to find out whether you are in the States or not. In the long run, it only helps if you are open & honest with him.

If you have company devices, it would be clear which country you are in, any way - regardless of which VPN is active. The protection is a bit better for private devices, but you could still find out if you wanted to.

Donā€™t listen to this guy šŸ¢. His professionalism has no place here.

Just an FYI: another networking term is ā€˜tunnel-in-tunnelā€™ but the concept is the same. The VPN client software on the computer theoretically shouldnā€™t matter as the Beryl AX is independent of the computer. It should be transparent to your computer provided your employer isnā€™t doing some sort of multiple data point analytics/collation/filteringā€¦ but youā€™d have to know more about their network operations to know.

Search around the forum. Iā€™ve written more than one post on 'clandestine remote working`:

No promises, though. Death & taxes ā€¦ & all that.