Help a newbie - Brume properly broken, even destroyed Uboot

:+1:My thoughts exactly. If I want to discover a new place, I go there and get lost. If I want to learn tech, it normally involves breaking it along the way…

So Johnex, you were a bit premature in saying don’t break it again. It still seems like it’s broken. :sob:

The network LAN interfaces in luci don’t appear to be happy and are saying some protocols need to be installed. When I click on the links given it takes me to software and list a load of luci-proto packages but installing all of those doesn’t seem to fix the issue.

Since my initial issues started way back when I followed the ToH page for the Brume at [OpenWrt Wiki] GL.iNet GL-MV1000 (Brume) / GL.iNet GL-MV1000W (Brume-W) and got confused during the changing of the fstab file, I’ve done some more digging around the file system. I also tried to use uboot again but that doesn’t seem to work with ethernet cable. Having linked via serial cable again and then run the command below (near the bottom) it appears to be telling me that there’s something wrong with my uboot image or the filesystem. I don’t really know what it means, and have tried reinstalling various different uboot.bin images using the following commands:

mtd erase /dev/mtd0
mtd write /tmp/uboot.bin /dev/mtd0
mtd erase /dev/mtd1

Which appears to complete, but I still get the same kind of error after running the following command:

root@GL-MV1000:~# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep U-Boot

Update failed

UPDATE FAILED

Something went wrong during updateProbably you have chosen wrong file (too big or too small) or you were trying to update ART on device with unknown FLASH type (and size) which is not allowed. Please, try again or contact with the author of this modification. You can also get more information during update in U-Boot console.
You can find more information about this project on GitHub U-Boot update

U-BOOT UPDATE

You are going to update U-Boot bootloader on the device.
Please, choose file from your local hard drive and click Update U-Boot button.

WARNINGS
  • do not power off the device during update
  • if everything goes well, the device will restart
  • you can upload whatever you want, so be sure that you choose proper U-Boot image for your device
  • updating U-Boot is a very dangerous operation and may damage your device!
You can find more information about this project on GitHub

U-Boot 2017.03-armada-17.10.2-gc5a0d2c (Sep 01 2019 - 18:20:09 +0800)
U-Boot DT blob at : %p
Warning: U-Boot configured device %s at address %llx,
U-Boot
** Invalid partition type “%.32s” (expect “U-Boot”)
U-Boot BUG at %s:%d!
Upgrade type: U-Boot
U-Boot EFI: Relocation at %p is out of range (%lx)
No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>
U-Boot.armv8

Any ideas on where I go next with this greatly appreciated?

It is too long and I cannot follow. Can you give a short summary?

Uboot still breaked? What is the current status?

Sorry for putting too much in. In brief, Uboot is still broken. I saw suggestion online to try the following command line to see if it revealed anything and it appears there has been some issue… I’ve removed most of the output to just include what I think may be most relevant.

root@GL-MV1000:~# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep U-Boot

UPDATE FAILED

Something went wrong during updateProbably you have chosen wrong file (too big or too small) or you were trying to update ART on device with unknown FLASH…

U-Boot 2017.03-armada-17.10.2-gc5a0d2c (Sep 01 2019 - 18:20:09 +0800)
U-Boot DT blob at : %p
Warning: U-Boot configured device %s at address %llx,
U-Boot
** Invalid partition type “%.32s” (expect “U-Boot”)
U-Boot BUG at %s:%d!
Upgrade type: U-Boot
U-Boot EFI: Relocation at %p is out of range (%lx)
No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>
U-Boot.armv8

Does anyone know from that what I might have done wrong and any suggestions for a fix? If there’s no easy answer I’m happy to be directed to some learning. I have seen a few videos on U-boot but that all areas to be around the use of the UART serial connection and into the uboot shell which I think is a bit beyond me.

Hi naggingNigel:

You mean, you found a Uboot source from github, and then compiled and burned into the MV1000.But it don’t work.

Uboot source:GitHub - gl-inet/uboot-mv1000