Home vpn server not working

Hi All,

I am trying to set up home VPN server and let my travel router connect to the home vpn server. But so far, I could not get it work. Could someone give me some suggestions?

My home VPN server is Beryl, GL-MT1300-08d, firmware version: 3.215
My travel router is SlateAX, GL-ATX1800-39f, firmware version: 4.1.0

I am using wireguard on both routers. Below is the config I copy from server and paste in the client

[Interface]
Address = 10.0.0.2/32
ListenPort = 39304
PrivateKey = sBxV3NN5aXMywhOZh7on3U66sNo/AtvpU+beRLiDGXY=
DNS = 64.6.64.6

[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::/0
Endpoint = 70.xxx.xxx.218:51821
PersistentKeepalive = 25
PublicKey = TfX3TT72t+l3GQSSo2DEtGizM/vCeygWzZW0AqHVURQ=

And this is the log file.

"Fri Jan 13 17:59:57 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now\nFri Jan 13 18:00:02 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nFri Jan 13 18:00:07 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nFri Jan 13 18:00:12 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nFri Jan 13 18:00:18 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nFri Jan 13 18:00:23 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nFri Jan 13 18:00:28 2023 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient

I also use this website https://www.portchecktool.com/ to check port forwarding. After doing some research, the result I got from this website indicates that my ISP router port forwarding is working, but the VPN server itself is not letting the connection to be established.

Does it work if you change SlateAX’s access point to your phone’s hotspot?

Thanks for the help. I did get the vpn running after switching to my cellphone hotspot. But it was extremely slow that I could not even open a web page. Not sure why.

So I went to a Starbucks close to my place and tested the travel router vpn. Everything works.

Any suggestion on how I can have the best speed under the current home/travel router vpn settings?

If the original access point fails you to connect to the VPN server, it blocks the UDP traffic, you can try to change ListenPort to reconnect.
The cellphone hotspot is slow which may be caused by inadequate signal coverage.
Could you ensure the access point network has enough bandwidth for both download and upload links?

The OP should go back and edit your message to remove the keys. I’m only 256*256 tries away from getting into your network.

1 Like

I changed the ListenPort on the slateAX client vpn. But it did not work. It seems that when both server and client are connected to the same wifi, the vpn tunnel just does not work

If wiregurad server’s wan and wireguard client’s wan are under the same LAN, then the client with firmware 3.215 will not able to connect to the server with 4.1.0 firmware. But the reverse works.
This is a route issue of 3.215 wireguard tool.