How i do make AR750s repeat 5GHz instead of 2.4?

Hi,

Love my travel router, but I’m trying to repeat a wireless network that has the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. The travel router insists on connecting to the 2.4. Is there a way to make it repeat the 5 GHz band? I’d prefer that to avoid all the potential interference on the 2.4 GHz bands.

Delete/disable the 2.4 GHz version of the that SSID. I’d do it by command-line editing, but you can probably do it in LuCI / “Advanced Settings” as well.

As mentioned…

Limiting to 5GHz can lead to problems when one is on travel, as some hotel networks are optimized for 2.4GHz first.

AR750s is 22:2 on 2.4GHz, and the 5GHz radio is 11:1 - and performance there tapers off over range faster with 5GHz (because physics in the RF domain).

Anyways - repeating on the same radio reduces bandwidth by half - so the ideal scenario would be attach to the 2.4GHz hotel network, and then use the 5GHz SSID offered by the AR750s for your devices on it’s private WLAN.

Actually 2.4 GHz range and low number of non-overlapping channels makes it more prone to interference in dense environments. No hotel is going to let you max out your connection, so the loss of maximum bandwidth by connecting and repeating on 5 GHz is irrelevant.

while if you are using firmware v3.022 and later, when you connect as repeater, it will regard 2.4G and 5G as different network even SSIDs are the same.

So you just choose the 5G one and that is OK.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic. I’m still on the latest non-beta firmware, good to know this change is coming. Thanks!

I’ve been running “testing” since the day I got my GL-AR750S device as I travel. No issues seen. If you’re paranoid, you can always keep the “old” firmware on your laptop and downgrade if you need to.

As Jeff said, switch to the Testing firmware, there is no need to wait for the release version.