How to set up WireGuard VPN server on Synology NAS for my GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX)?

I’ve purchased the GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) router for the purpose of connecting to my Synology NAS via VPN. I know that I can set up OpenVPN server on my NAS, but then someone told me to use WireGuard instead as it is faster. But I’m struggling to find a comprehensive tutorial how to do it (apart from downloading and installing some third-party kernel components, which makes me feel quite uneasy about.)

Does anyone know how to set up a WireGuard VPN server on the DSM 7.1 Synology NAS?

I think this is more in line with what you’re looking to do. Let your Beryl AX be the WG Server, a portable device, say your phone, be a WG Client:

No, that’s not what I need. I need the Beryl AX to be a WiFi client.

You are asking in a GL-Inet forum, how to setup your Synology NAS.
Maybe you are lucky and someone here is using a Synology NAS. But I think this question is better placed in a Synology community.

But in general @bring.fringe18 is right, most people here are using a GL-iNet device or an external provider as VPN server (endpoint).

I was using a Linux Container in a own VLAN for my first VPN. From that experience I can say: Just use the standard config, decide if you want Site2Site or Client/Server and give the config to the Beryl AX …
But I have no Synology l, no idea what is special about this environment.

Had it once on a 815+ with DSM 6.x, with DSM 7.x, it’s not that easy anymore and switched to a Raspi 4 as WG Server.

Here is a YouTube video I found. I haven’t used Synology NAS in a while. Alternatively use Tailscale or ZeroTier as an option.

+1 for ZeroTier.
Very easy to set up and works great, in nearly every situation.

Great, thanks! That YouTube tutorial was very helpful. It’s a lot of manual steps but it worked eventually.