Https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/where-can-i-find-your-ovpn-files

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/where-can-i-find-your-ovpn-files

Just a simple question, which one of all these config files is recommended for the Slate GL-AR750S?

OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (DEFAULT) – These files connect over UDP port 1198 with AES-128-CBC+SHA1, using the server name to connect.

OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (IP) – These files connect over UDP port 1198 with AES-128-CBC+SHA1, and connect via an IP address instead of the server name.

OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (STRONG) – These files connect over UDP port 1197 with AES-256-CBC+SHA256, using the server name to connect.

OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (TCP) – These files connect over TCP port 502 with AES-128-CBC+SHA1, using the server name to connect.

OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (STRONG-TCP) – These files connect over TCP port 501 with AES-256-CBC+SHA256, using the server name to connect.

It really depends on your uplink. If your ISP blocks specific ports, use one of the configurations that go through an authorised port (e.g. if your ISP blocks a lot of ports, you can try UDP over port 53, since DNS requests are rarely blocked, and happen on this channel).

TCP is slower for OpenVPN than UDP. Higher level encryption (AES-256-CBC+SHA256 is stronger than AES-128-CBC+SHA1) is stronger, but depending on your hardware, might be slower. I’m not sure about the AR750S specifically.

The DEFAULT config might be enough for you if your ISP is not a massive rectum, and unless your DNS is limited and/or blocks your VPN provider, you’re fine with a config that uses a DNS-resolved URL instead of an IP address for connection.

Basically, stick with default, unless:

• You need stronger encryption for whatever reason (business requirement, etc.) - then use STRONG instead
  • Your ISP blocks certain ports - then use a config that runs on an unblocked port
  • Your ISP enforces a DNS server - then use a config that uses IP address instead of a URL

And of course the combination options also exist.

1 Like