Installing OpenWRT on GL-750s

stable Index of /releases/19.07.2/targets/ar71xx/generic/

looollsss

snapshot Index of /snapshots/targets/ath79/nand/

lolls

read openwrt general wiki/docs on how to install/upgrade

cheers

Hi

I followed the instructions here: [OpenWrt Wiki] GL.iNet GL-AR750S (under " OEM easy installation").

And used the current release linked here (gl-ar750s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin): Index of /releases/19.07.2/targets/ar71xx/generic/

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

I also tried openwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin but received the same erorr.

use .img via uboot and .tar from luci

if you have problems with stable:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.2/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-19.07.2-ar71xx-generic-gl-ar750s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

start from snapshot factory image:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/nand/openwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-factory.img

cheers

Hi @ganam25324 thanks for your repsonse!

Iā€™m not quite sure what youā€™re saying - I understand the debrick tutorial but my router is on the latest GL firmware (3.101).

For both of the files (.bin and .img) you posted I get the following error:

I get the exact same error for the two .bin files you posted previously.

Thanks again!

that screenshot looks like luci, if it is not accepting image follow instruction in debrick tutorial and falsh snapshot factory image via uboot not luci:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/nand/openwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-factory.img

cheers

1 Like

Thanks! I understand now. I was able to flash with the img provided using the instructions above (Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs).

I then found that the factory img did not contain luci so I had no web UI.

So I did:

scp openwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/
ssh root@192.168.1.1
sysupgrade -v openwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

However, this also doesnā€™t have luci:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed | grep luci
root@OpenWrt:~# 

This is a bit off topic now - but I do I understand correctly that I should install luci manually for this image?

Thanks again for your help.

snapshot dont have luci by defaulf, you just need to install luci, no need to try to flash again.

fix your cofig for minimun internet connectivity via ssh:

vi /etc/config/network

and then:

opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl

also next time no need to use factory image you can use sysupgrade image, if luci doesnt accept image try from ssh or uboot will do.

next release will fix thisā€¦ ar750s nand is not in stable repo yetā€¦ you can dig a bit a look at the image builderā€¦ pretty easy to use for custom needsā€¦ no need to compile from source.

Thanks for this! This worked!

For reference, hereā€™s what I added to /etc/config/network to get it working.

option dns '8.8.8.8'  
       option gateway '192.168.1.254'   

:wink:

@routrename yay! cheers #staysafe

Newbie coming in hereā€¦ what would I gain or lose by going to vanilla OpenWRT?

You gain skills.
You loss wifi and the UI by default. You need to connect the the LAN port and install all packages including turning on the wifi.

gl.inet UI is great for openwrt beginners and for what is thought for: travelers. vanilla is more of a pro-user, you should know what you are doing thing :slight_smile: as @alzhao stated vanilla doesnā€™t have wifi on by default, and in gl-750s case you should install a snapshot release that also has no gui at all at first install.

Nothing to make friends, even uploading the NAND file ā€œopenwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-factory.imgā€ the AR750S router goes to BRICK. The WIFI LEDs after the flashig remain off and it is not possible to access the 192.168.8.1 interface.

to be able to load this firmware: ā€œopenwrt-ath79-nand-glinet_gl-ar750s-nor-nand-squashfs-factory.imgā€ is it necessary that another firmware is already installed before?
What am I doing wrong I donā€™t understand?

WIfi is probably switched off by defailt (as indicated earlier in this very thread). 192.168.8.1 is the default IP address for gl.inet firmware only. OpenWRT uses 192.168.1.1.

Start here:

I received the same error and followed the hard reset insteuctions and it loaded great

Once you ha
Ve you lan set for the static ip addreas use a different browser. I used edge

wow a newbie layman walk by, before buying a 750s. (got a mango for pilot testing)

embedded + linux is really hard to use.

iā€™ll buy a device from GL inet, rather than buy a cheap Chinese 2nd hand router and flash myself.

This is overwhelming to non-engineers!

Hope it is still smooth after Slateā€™s 3yr support periodā€¦

thx

For most users there is no need to use anything but the GL firmware.

Itā€™s a steep curve, but that is why we have this wonderful community where people help eachother :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m reading through this thread and struggling to find the instructions that worked to upgrade OpenWRT. My GL-750S came pre-installed with ā€œOpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.196.56128-9112198)ā€. Does the community have working instructions on how to upgrade to the latest? I need at least 19.07 or later because I would like to install Netify (Installing Netify on OpenWrt).

Thanks for any help you can provide in advance,

bizzbyster

Just use the bootload Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs