Internet dropping when connecting to Wireguard client on GL-MT300N-V2

I have 2 GL-MT300N-V2.I have upgraded both to the latest firmware.

I am trying to set up a VPN tunnel between 2 sites. So I have 1 GL-MT300N-V2 set up as a Wireguard server and connected to the router in my house. It is connected. Green light on the Wireguard server. I can access the internet from it.

I copied the config file from the server and then pasted it in the Wireguard client. To get this initially setup I am tethering internet from my phone to the Wireguard client box. I am able connect to the internet with the Wireguard client box. but once I connect the Wireguard client the internet drops.

I have tried disabling the firewall on my laptop. but no joy. The wireguard client is showing as yellow. Any ideas why the internet is dropping when I try to connect the client.

If your server is sitting behind your router then U require a public facing IP address on your source router and need to port forwarding port 51820 on your source router to the IP address of your Mango

I have port forwarding setup already on the wireguard server which is connected by WAN connection to the router, but no joy. Once I connect the Wireguard client mango I lose internet.

Sorry for the image size, but as I am a new user I can only post one image. If you open the image in another screen you can see it properly

This is port forwarding setup on my internet router. Which I have connected to the Manga thru WAN connection.

You should not use 192.168.8.2 as the IP of the client router. You should use a different one, e.g. 192.168.10.1

1 Like

Thanks, updated the IP on the client router to 192.168.10.1. Issue still remains though. Internet on the client router until I connect the Wireguard client.

I also tried disabling the firewall on my laptop and the router.

Even though you spared essential information in your screen shots (:neutral_face:) one can see:
You’re searching at the wrong place: Your wireguard tunnel doesn’t get established at all - see (1).
That’s the reason you have no internet at all (see (2)).

So the 1st thing is to check your WG-C/S config then your port forwarding (guess it’s wrong/counterproductive).

P.S. please describe your network better. “192.168.1.7” is the WAN address of the WG-Server-Router?
Best was you posted a (hand-written is enough) pic or at least described "device A is connected by port X to device B, port Y etc.)

1 Like

That’s not a functional issue.
The only real downside of identical IP ranges on both sides is that neither side can address clients of the other subnet. Internet access would work flawlessly.

1 Like

I got this going. I referred to this guide - Building a Site-2-Site network manually using two GL.iNet routers

Wish I’d seen it earlier. I changed the Endpoint in the config file on the Client to be the same as the WAN IP address of this Server router.

Thanks for all the help

Posting on my thread again. From my initial post in this thread I got this going maybe once or twice and have had trouble getting it working since.

From the initial post in this thread.
I have 2 GL-MT300N-V2.I have upgraded both to the latest firmware.

I am trying to set up a VPN tunnel between 2 sites. So I have 1 GL-MT300N-V2 set up as a Wireguard server and connected to the router in my house. It is connected. Green light on the Wireguard server. I can access the internet from it.

I copied the config file from the server and then pasted it in the Wireguard client. To get this initially setup I am USB tethering internet from my phone to the Wireguard client box. I am able connect to the internet with the Wireguard client box. but once I connect the Wireguard client VPN the internet drops.

I have got it going once or twice. I thought it may be the phone. So I tried USB tethering on another phone and still no connection. It connects fine until I tried connect the client VPN and the client remains yellow

Can anyone help me with this please. I really need to get it going and I am lost as to how to get this going?

Try configuring different subnets for each network zone:

• Internet router LAN - 192.168.1.1
  • Mango 1 WG server router WAN - 192.168.1.2
  • Mango 1 WG server router LAN - 192.168.2.8
  • Mango 2 WG client router LAN - 192.168.3.10

You also need DDNS on the Mango 1 server router and put the DDNS domain/hostname as the endpoint in the client Wireguard config file, not 192.168.1.2. For initial testing, you may be able to put the Public IP address of the Internet router WAN (whatismyipaddress.com).

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

1 Like

You should not change the subnet. You cannot use 192.168.1.2 for Wireguard in your server.

Just use the default one.

Also, the Endpoint should not be 192.168.1.2:51820. It has to be the public IP address of your home Internet.