Issues with GL-AX1800 Flint after update to 4.2.0 (r3)

Prior to updating to 4.2.0 from 4.1.0, my Flint router was rock solid in terms of stability. Since updating I’ve running into a wide range of problems that have made the router very unstable.

The most recent issue was finding that my guest networks were no longer isolated from my private networks. No settings were changed and everything indicates that the networks should be isolated (wireless settings and Firewall settings). The firewall settings for the guest network are Reject/Accept/Drop).

In Luci, I toggled the “Isolate clients” setting on one of the 2.4Ghz guest network and the 2.4Ghz immediately went offline (showed as disabled). Despite this the Gl.inet wireless management page was showing it as “On”. Router restarts did not fix this.

The only thing that seems to have got the guest network back online is removing the Custom interface name in the “Override default interface name” field and re-checking the isolate clients box.

Despite the firewall settings and “isolation” settings, the guest networks still have access to the private network.

Here are the appropriate config snippets:
config wifi-iface ‘guest2g’
option device ‘radio1’
option network ‘guest’
option mode ‘ap’
option guest ‘1’
option wds ‘1’
option ssid ‘#################’
option encryption ‘sae-mixed’
option key ‘#######’
option disabled ‘0’
option isolate ‘1’

config zone
option name ‘guest’
option network ‘guest’
option input ‘REJECT’
option forward ‘DROP’
option output ‘ACCEPT’

//an extra rule to try to block access
config rule
option dest ‘lan’
option src ‘guest’
option name ‘Block Guest to LAN’
option target ‘REJECT’
list proto ‘all’
option enabled ‘1’

I’m completely stumped by this. Is there a conflict somewhere that I’m missing? Right now I plan on reverting it back to 4.1.0 (which was very stable).

Did you keep settings when you upgraded?

I always recommend creating a backup in LuCi and doing a fresh install when using a Beta or Snapshots then loading the Backup config and packages after. So in you case if you did make a backup before upgrading you can do a fresh install and try it. If you did not, you can try setting it up from scratch after the install.

No other settings were changed when I upgraded. I thought I had made a back up, but apparently not.

This was also not a beta or snapshot, it was the stable upgrade path.

Keep settings is on by default when upgrading, like I stated before I usually deselect this option and load a config and packages after upgrade.

Because you did not deselect it is what I think is causing your problem

If you revert to 4.1.0 and keep the setting I believe you issue will still exist and you will need to do a setup from scratch anyway. I would do a complete fresh install of 4.2.0 or move to a Beta or Snapshot (Beta 4.2.1 release 3 has been pretty stable for me so far and I am moving onto snapshots as it has not been updated for a couple of days, meaning that there are no obvious issues that needed to be addressed. That being said I am sure a snapshot will come out for the weekend)

Thanks @K3rn3l_Ku5h, I think your suggestion was spot on.

I did find a backup from right before I upgraded to 4.2.0. I did a factory reset and restored from the back up and it’s looking like that might do the trick. The guest networks are again isolated and things are looking good. Hopefully the router will continue to stay stable.