Lan ports bonding

Is it possible to bond two ports in AP mode on Creta / Flint to carry more than 100 Mbps? Thanks and happy CNY.

The GL-AX1800 Flint already has Gigabit Ethernet.

It may be possible to do link aggregation on the GL-AR750 Creta, but I don’t think it would be worth it:

1. The router and/or switch also needs to have link aggregation, which are not so cheap, in order to connect 2 ports to the Creta using 2 Ethernet cables.
  2. The 2.4GHz wifi speed would probably not gain much, if at all. The 5.0Ghz wifi band speed have gain, but hard to estimate how much.

It may be easier and cheaper just to replace the Creta with a GL-AR750S Slate with Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks for your reply.

Why 5 Ghz wouldn’t have increased throughput? Even assuming some additional overhead from aggregation should still be better than single lane. If overheard isn’t 30% that is.

I indicated “The 5.0Ghz wifi band speed have gain, but hard to estimate how much.” The speed may be limited by the router CPU/hardware, so you may or may not get 200 Mbps.

1 Like

Noted about cpu/hw capabilities. Thanks.

OT but in a different post I read you bought Slate also because of external antennas. How this influences the range at different mounting angles? Vs integrated as in Creta / Convexa.

Wanting to wall mount and main client being 5-6 meters away, across multiple walls, I believe it matters.

Have read external have doughnut shaped emissions / reception with a blind cone on their main axis. Integrated have spherical emissions instead less dependent on orientation. Also since tx power is capped by law, sensitivity / gain is likely what matters. Never ending questions about it, I am sure.

I have not aware of any wifi radiation patterns published by GL.iNet for their routers. With the external antennas on the Slate, I expect that router has an omnidirectional pattern radiating horizontally when the antennas are pointing up. With the internal antennas in the Creta, I expect that router has an omnidirectional pattern radiating horizontally when the device is positioned vertically and the printing is oriented normally. If so, then the router should be location centrally within the area covered.

I bought the Slate only as a travel router, so it is not so important to me. In comparing the signal strength between the Slate and my TP-Link home access point at different home locations, the Slate is much weaker than the TP-Link.

Thanks for the insight.

Since tx power I believe is capped at 20 dBm, would you say the difference is due to antennas length? Wondering also if Convexa for SOHO has longer integrated antennas than Creta.

Edit: clearly is more complicated than my original understanding of it Does ar300m ext have the power to work with 20db directional antenna? - #2 by Glutier