Mac Network

I have a GL-X3000 and use an iPhone and MacAir computer and have two 1TB Sandisk Extreme drives. But these are formatted in Apple’s APFS file system. It seems the GL-X3000 does not support this modern file system.

What is the best way for me to set up a network so that I can share files and back up my computer/phone?

If there is no way to use APFS I think backups may be impossible. Because even if I formatted one of my Sandisk drives as NTSF it still may not work with my MacAir APFS file system. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backing up.

And what about a 1TB TF card? I’ve never used one of those before. My Sandisk Extreme Drives supposedly has speeds of 550M/s. It seems the fastest TF cards have speeds of 200M/s. When I do back ups, I never see speeds anywhere near that high. But on the other hand, I don’t want to buy a TF card and find it’s way too slow.

Thanks for any help

There is no way.

Quote from the OpenWrt wiki:

APFS was introduced in 2017 but there is currently no support for it in OpenWrt (nor in Linux).

This doesn’t help the OP, but actually for linux there is a paid driver called apfs-fuse by Paragon Software, but of more interest might be an open source apfs-fuse for linux on GitHub GitHub - sgan81/apfs-fuse: FUSE driver for APFS (Apple File System). But it hasn’t been ported to openwrt AFAIK. There is a fuse package in openwrt, so maybe someone with skills could port it, but even then it is still experimental, so I wouldn’t depend on it for important data like backups until it is more mature.

Thanks to @admon and @steep01 for the helpful replies. So backups using CCC (carbon copy cloner) are out of the question without APFS support. I accept that.

But there are other types of backups. Also my question was also about “the best way” to set up a network for file sharing using Mac OS.

Anyone?

For example, macOS has Time Machine, which is another type of back up. I know that I can see files if the USB drive is formatted properly, so I’m assuming someone out there using macOS is taking advantage of GL.iNet networking in some way

I would say: Best way is by getting a NAS like QNAP, Synology and so on. A router isn’t for file sharing - even if it might be supported.

I really do not need all the power of a NAS.

My GL-X3000 is in a Campervan which occasionally will be used to provide signal to a group of others and having a way to conveniently share files at those times would be pretty nice.

If this is not why file sharing/networking is supported on a GL-X3000, then why is it?

Backup is super important to me, and I already have a routine for that. But I want to make the most use of the GL-X3000 as possible and am interested in learning all that it can do.

I would create a shared folder from the GL-X3000, and then mount the folder on the Mac Finder->Go->Connect to Server smb://192.168.128.1 or however you find the router. Copy and delete some files on the shared drive to make sure it works. I don’t have a GL-X3000 but I use a shared drive in this manner with my gl.inet router.

I haven’t tried this next bit: Look here for instructions from LostAccount in this thread on how to create sparse bundle image file, move it to the shared folder, and configure Time Machine to use it. EDIT: I have created sparse files before, just not used them with Time Machine before.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254895939?sortBy=best

If you first have a sold gold backup on one of your Sandisk drives, and are not afraid to screw things up and possibly have to restore, you might try it out. If not, let me know, and I might be able to test it some time over the coming week with my Slate AXT-1800 and MacBook Air M2 2022.

I don’t know if it’s possible to backup an iPhone directly to a network share. But you can backup the iPhone to the Mac, and include the backups in Time Machine. Every version does create a separate file, and storage use grows on the Mac. So instead I just trust Apple and backup my iPhone to iCloud, assuming internet usage is acceptable.

There is a lot of good advice in this post. It’s going to take me a while to try these things but I’ll get back with what I find

Yes, let us know. Just to clarify, that formula that LostAccount reported was used to create a sparse image file on local storage. The file is an image of a complete filesystem that dynamically grows from almost nothing up to the maximum specified size. I think you would need to move this file to the shared storage before performing the steps to configure Time Machine to use it…