Mudi (GL-E750) - can't connect hard drive

Part of my setup requirements is to have a hard drive connected for backup of my MacBook. Ideally the drive is formatted as HFS+ & I’m using TimeMachine for backup. I’ve done this successfully with a Puli (GL-XE300) & a TP-Link TL-WR902AC with OpenWrt flashed to it.

With the GL-E750 I don’t get the hard drive to mount, or even appear, at all. I have a SD card which does appear & mount as sda1 as expected. The output from block info looks like…

/dev/mtdblock5: UUID="92120774" VERSION="1" TYPE="ubi"
/dev/ubiblock0_0: UUID="xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx" VERSION="4.0" MOUNT="/rom" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/ubi0_1: UUID="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" VERSION="w4r0" MOUNT="/overlay" TYPE="ubifs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" VERSION="1.0" MOUNT="/mnt/sda1" TYPE="ext4"

No drive at sdb1. In File Sharing section of the GL.iNet admin it doesn’t appear in the Current Directory dropdown. Nor does it appear at System > Mount Points in Luci.

Any have any ideas on getting that drive to appear & mount?

Did you try running block detect in SSH?

Is it a low-power SSD drive? Spinning hard drive may need more power.

I get…

config 'global'
	option	anon_swap	'0'
	option	anon_mount	'0'
	option	auto_swap	'1'
	option	auto_mount	'1'
	option	delay_root	'5'
	option	check_fs	'0'

config 'mount'
	option	target	'/mnt/sda1'
	option	uuid	'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx'
	option	enabled	'0'

Which is almost my fstab file before adding the entry for sdb1.

Yes it is a spinning hard drive, however the power draw hasn’t been excessive for either of the other routers. It is enough that I wouldn’t be using it when I have to depend on the built in battery.

I have tried a spinning hard drive on my GL-MV1000W Brume and it is not detected. Both USB SSD and USB flash drive work.

If you try an USB flash drive and it works, then power is likely the problem.

1 Like

I took that suggestion, & the flash drive mounted for me. I guess I’ll have to get a SSD for backup.