Need help with setting up a VPN for my project

Too much work? It is literally a couple of clicks on the newer devices and firmware mate:

You sound like someone who just does not want to accept advice or to be helped. Oh, go and get your TP-Link and sign up for some anger management sessions whilst you are at it. Good luck.

2 Likes

And FWIW, you weren’t being called a dumbass. You were being warned that if you’re getting hung up on step 1, steps 2-26 are more complicated. Then you went on the offensive and here we are.

Also, if you read most of my posts on here you’d know that I’m anything but a fanboy.

If you think the TP-Link is going to be a better solution for you, great! Nobody is forcing you into any particular hardware platform. TP-Link makes good stuff, and I frequently recommend their products. I use a lot of their IOT stuff. You won’t go wrong with them.

That said, no matter whose platform you choose, there are some things that are really hard to implement with a couple of clicks, especially if you’re looking for a non-standard solution. You see that a lot in these forums - people come in and ask for something to be “easy” when it frankly isn’t. Everybody has to start somewhere, and to be honest there are a lot of people here who are pretty patient and will walk you through learning what you need to get things set up, or in some cases go so far as to help you get it set up. I won’t speak for others, but in my case I don’t mind helping people who are willing to learn and ask, “What am I doing wrong?”, but I don’t have a lot of patience for people who tell me that I don’t know what I’m taking about and ought to shut up.

Can you set up an OpenVPN (or WireGuard, or IPSec) solution that does what you need? Sure! It’s a little more complicated and requires knowing a little bit about how routing works, but it’s totally doable. And we can even help you through it. Tailscale can do a lot of that transparently for you so that you don’t have to know quite as much about the nuts and bolts, and I’d still say it’s a pretty good solution for your application. But again, if you want to go a different direction and put in the work to set it up on TP-Link, go for it! Nobody here is going to stop you.

If you’d like to reset the whole conversation and try again, we can also do that. We’re happy to try to help people learn, but as I learned when I was a professional educator, sometimes people don’t want to be taught. If you want to learn rather than throw bombs, we’re here. If not, best of luck wherever you land.

3 Likes

Has fixed as “root”, thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

Just updated to latest firmware and there is no plugin called tailscale. I said it was probably complicated because Astro Relay was 30 pages of instructions, and it doesn’t even look like there even is a guide for tailscale, so I believe my assumption was accurate.

Always have to be right and get the last word, don’t you?

Are you on version 4.2, which is the one that introduced Tailscale support?

https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=xe300&type=snapshot

(note: it’s gonna be hella slow on that CPU. I’m not sure if they’ve backported it to all the 4.2’s, but that one at least has enough memory that you could build/download it if necessary. The AR750S has it, which is basically the same thing without wifi)

1 Like

Yes, you will need to be on the 4.2.0 version of the firmware:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=xe300&type=snapshot

Not sure though whether your router will support it out of the box as it is not listed on the official documentation but you might be able to manually install.