NordVPN only works with manual DNS

Hi,

on a freshly reset v4.2.1 firmware on my GL-AX1800 Flint:
When I set up NordVPN (automatic setup or manual ovpn config upload, doesn’t matter) then the VPN connection works fine. But after a few hours there’s permanently no internet connection. This seems to be a DNS problem, as I found out, that when I switch to manual DNS (Cloudflare) it works fine again. Setting DNS to automatic or manually setting NordVPN DNS (103.86.96.100#53) results in no internet connection for any connected device (except devices exluded by VPN policy, they work fine). Switching ovpn config won’t fix it, too.

I couldn’t find anything interesting in the Log and there are no errors in the VPN dashboard albeit having no internet connection.

Any ideas on what could be the problem or how to solve this?

TIA
rausb

It’s not the answer you’re looking for but if this still holds as possible since January in the long term it would be a much better VPN experience:

The Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) is near identical in specs to the Flint (GL-AX1800) inc. stable firmware.

… once online you can set any Encrypted DNS provider you’d like (eg: Cloudflare via DOH) to use in the VPN tunnel instead of your VPN provider dictating the DNS.

Could you check with this command when the internet dies?

iptables-save |grep block

I cannot say why, but after a second firmware reset and the latest update v4.2.3, I haven’t had any problems yet. I’ll keep you updated should something occur.